Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Exhaust - Don't do what I did

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 03:32 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust - Don't do what I did

Hi Guys,

All I did was remove the 'Suitcase' Muffler near the Gas Tank and left everything else stock. No Problems... $75 to cut and re-pipe.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:51 PM
DesertRefugee

Mag R/T,

I read yours and many others who posted even before I'd bought the car. Like I said, I got stupid and ignored them all.

To be truthful, the car sounds wicked now, and if I didn't have that 1500RPM drone, I'd be finished.

A couple of co-worker, motorhead friends and I just went to lunch in the car. They made a suggestion to experiment withwrapping a couple of LARGE metal hose clamps around the muffler to change the mechanical resonance! I've never heard of it, but apparently this has been something that has worked for others in the past. (It is a heck of a lot cheaper than hacking pipe again and is something that I will try and report on).

later . . .

Old 01-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Al Briggs
Rookie

2005 Magnum R/T Hemi: I did the same thing in August.I am still pleased with the results--all for $73. I kept the "suitcase" just in case I had problems or didn't like the results. It's still in my shed though.

Interesting comment by Desert Refugee: "The guy at Loper's is adament about the "suitcase" being the resonator. He says there's nothing inside that would qualify it as a muffler. Believe it or not."
The shop that I had remove my "suitcase" said the same thing.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:31 AM
FOURTEEN
Rookie

ORIGINAL: DesertRefugee

I had the stock system removed from the crossover back and replaced with 2.5 inch piping, eliminated the "suitcase" and replaced the resonators with Flowmaster 40 series. Big mistake. Terrible resonance/drone at ~1500-2000 RPM under light load. MDS mode at freeway speeds brings on a high-frequency vibration and unpleasant Honda-esque sounds.

I bought my used RT with a catback exhaust and Flowmaster 40s. I sounded just like yours - horrible!! Loud is OK, but we couldn’t stand the drone, like a P51 fighter flying along in the back seat!
The solution: we added two trimmed 12” glasspacks to each side after the 40, (40, glasspack, bend, bend, glasspack, 3” chrome tip). After everything was welded together and painted with black BBQ paint, it looks like a factory chambered pipe system! The sound is mellow, loud enough to be noticed, but not annoying. Inside the tone is pleasant, and just loud enough to hear the MDS cut in and out. Full throttle produces a nice wail. Nice sound, straight through flow, NO drone, and cost about $100!!
If you wanted it louder, maybe just one added glasspack would kill the drone!?!

[IMG]local://upfiles/11068/91BA017A9BCF4F7DA668AC7B5D3FF664.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11068/27FEF811409845C6A9EA96E4F395B479.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11068/EEB33EA62B0F4D58906197BF81E124DD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-22-2007, 03:14 PM
RT 2 NV
Veteran

love my magnaflow. nice and queit at ideal good sound when you get on it and very little drone. great price too. $550 with shipping. looks nice and clean all stainlees.

Quick Reply: Exhaust - Don't do what I did