Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Cat back opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 04:35 AM
Midlifemistake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat back opinion

I've only got 300 miles on it, but knew at first start it needed a bit more exhaust tone.

I'm interested in miliage and sound improvement, but want to keep it comfortable for a passenger vehicle. I'd like the exhaust quiet with the windows up, but noticable when I jump on it.
I also want to stay with an X pipe, (I think) because it was put in there for cause.

I've seen an add for a Gibson sku 617000, that claims to have the least cab noise.
And autotrucktoys, has a OEM add on that claims "for those looking for a little more".

Also considering magnaflow and Borla, but don't need the underbody polished bling, or stainless for corrosion resistance in the Ca. desert. I'm more interested in not getting too loud for my wifes comfort.

Adding a K&N filter pad and may do some insulation to the stock CAI box ans intake tube, for temp reduction.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm still in new car shock.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:17 AM
ekb55
Default RE: Cat back opinion

I had the center muffler replaced with 40 series flowmasters and accomplished exactly what you want. Very pleased!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:50 PM
fknslayer

I am thinking of doing the same thing.......What did you decide on and are you happy?

Old 06-02-2007, 01:45 PM
yzfman

I went with Flowmaster 40 series and couldn't be happier. I left the stock X-pipe after much deliberation, but replaced all the other plumping with 2.5" pipe andgot rid of theresonators. It sounds AWESOME. It can be loud sometimes in stop and go traffic, but cruising on the freeway you can barley notice it. That with a K&N drop inmade a small differance. The Flashpaq goes on Tuesday.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 AM
kgb44

Just put a Magnaflow on my 5.7 Ltr and am very happy. Sounds great and not to loud in the car. Sounds even better when you jump on it.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:37 PM
varoom1

First of all - i'd like to mention that I'm new to this forum. Helloto all! I've been on this forum just reading up on mod's for my ride buthaven't took the time to post a message until now. I got some very good ideas here on the "Exhaust" topic and actually picked up an idea to have my piping customed made instead of purchasing an actual systemfor my05 R/T Magnum.

First, i took Maggie in to my local custom muffler shop to have them just cut off the 2 back resonators and weld on two "fat" tips in replace of them and left the "suitcase" untouched. Start up is nice, low grumble from stop to cruising (first 3 gears) and absolutely no drone, but this mod just wasn't enough for me. I wanted "Her" to be heard and let the Ford's/Chevy's/Pontiac's know that she has a HEMI underneath her skirt! Drove this for less than a week, then....
I picked up two universal Magnaflows (part # 11236) to replace the "suitcase" underneath and installedtwo 12' Bluestreak glasspacksinstalled where the two back resonators use to bethen had two 3.5 inch slashed tips welded to the glasspacks.

This is exactly what I was looking for....not only did i save some major cash but the car now sounds like a tamed beast just waiting to for me to give the command "Sic'Em!" My biggest fear was the "Drone". My new set up gave no Drone at all through out the powerband and with my family load.

I absolutely recommend this mod - i'm sure any high performance/free flowing muffler will work just the same.

Thanks everyone for giving me some awesome ideas for my R/T.

Let me know what you guys think of my magnaflow set up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/83532/30B5B328AA31460184AE734A1C54472E.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Cat back opinion