Dodge Muscle Cars When it was all about noise and big (and bigger) engines, Dodge and Plymouth ruled the roads. Discuss the Muscle cars that once were within.

Aftermarket EFI - which one?

Old 05-04-2013, 03:07 AM
firefish
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket EFI - which one?

I'm thinking about building a stroker smallblock with fuel injection. As far as the EFI goes there are lots of options but I'd like something as ready as possible. Finding a donor with SMPI is not gonna work, too few of them around (in my part of the world) and should I find on the price tag would be ridiculous.

Three different routes exist:
TBI like FAST, Holley or MSD.

Multipoint like Edelbrock or Mopar Performance.

Built from scratch using a generic brain.

The first one is appealing because it's simple. I read the review of the MSD Atomic in Mopar Muscle but I'm not too impressed about the tune ability. I've seen other ignition and fuel curves that have been "auto tuned" via lambda and they all took work to go from decent to great, something not possible with the MSD. On a side not I think MM missed the goal completely by not being able to tell any mileage figures due to lack of time (makes me wonder; are they that bad and they don't wanna **** an advertiser off?).

The third option is a no go because it'll take too much time and it'll require too much fabbing.

That leaves second as my favorite. However, it's a rather pricey route although the kit like Edelbrock seems very complete and probably cost efficient in the end.

So to the question: Does anyone know of a comparative test between the three different types/routes in general and/or a test between different systems (like FAST vs Holley vs MSD or Edelbrock vs MP)?

No2: Has anyone here any experience from either kit or route? All input appreciated.

Thanks,

Magnus

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket EFI - which one?