Dodge Muscle Cars When it was all about noise and big (and bigger) engines, Dodge and Plymouth ruled the roads. Discuss the Muscle cars that once were within.

Tach Wiring

Old 04-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Belrain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach Wiring

Hi Guys...I've got a '70 Coronet Super Bee here, and I was wondering if any of you fellas knew off the top of your head what two wire colors go to the rear of the Tach ( 12 volt-tach feed). Any help greatly appreciated...Thanks ...Randy

Last edited by Belrain; 04-10-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Please delet this double Post...
Old 04-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Randy,
Are you asking about a OEM production tach or aftermarket.
Do you have a service manual?
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

Old 04-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Belrain

Thanks for the reply Dave. My situation is this...I AM the owner of an automotive shop (26 yrs)...I am also an ASE Master of 20 yrs...I am doing this 1970 Super Bee (ground up resto)for one of my best customers. No I don't have a manual that old, but my customer (Curt) did provide one of those laminated wire diagrams. All wiring harnesses for the car were provided by Curt. This is a silly damn problem in that the wiring colors for the tach are so small in the diagram that it is hard to tell what is supposed to go to the tach. Curt had his I/P reconditioned along with a new tach installed. Anyone who has been in this Biz (automotive) knows that one of the most sensitve instruments on any vehicle new or old, is the electronic tachometer. All the wiring came from: Clasisc Car Wiring. I've already found a couple of discrepencies in the diagram. I have to assume all the color coding is the original. I'm just looking for someone else with some experience in the "Dodge Zone". There are two wires required for the tach...12 volt feed and then the coil feed. the wires that break out of the harness don't match the wiring diagram. I apologize for such a wordy reply...

Old 04-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Randy,
A lot more knowledge on the b-body only site. Try posting your question here......
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/forum.php

or .....
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/index.php

Old 04-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Belrain

Hi Dave...I manged to get my problem resolved...
I got 'er figured out here. There was one wire "taped over" from that manufacturer, (black w/white stripe) then I had to add length to it to reach the Tach terminal. I have NEVER seen that event before. Thanks again for your attention...TGIF. Randy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tach Wiring