Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Horrible Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 07:32 AM
J.B.C. SXT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Horrible Gas Mileage

My experience with the dealer.

The car has been to the dealer numerous times now. It runs fine and they don't want to seem to probe far enough into the problem. I'm only going through the expense of replacing the plugs because I want the champions out of there. As soon as I get my 92' towncar back on the road I plan on taking a trip to another dealership a bit farther away. Then they can have the car for a week until they track this problem down. I'm thinkinig it's an oxygen sensor, but I had to physically point to the torn A-arm bushings for them to fix that.

Joe

Old 09-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Neonsxt0486
Rookie

I took it in today and being that i'm 18 they looked at me and were like yea you do have a problem. Then he told me to quit driiving like an idiot and it would fix the problem. I had to hold my self back from knockin him straight out. My dad found out and went down there and now they said oh well drop it off tomorrow night and we'll fix everything. Dodge has the sorriest service department.

Old 09-20-2004, 10:02 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

It doesn't matter what service dept they are, they always try and get away with anything if it is warranty to save money.

quick story, my mom had a honda civic MTX and it would stall at idle all the time. The dealer said bnothing was wrong with it, she took to an independent honda mechanic and said there was a recall with the computer. It needed to be reprogrammed. SHe took it back and they fought her for a month and even after trying to get corporate to help was a pain.

moral is they just don't want to lose money and will try and get away with it

Old 09-21-2004, 12:29 AM
casper
Legend

yeah any dealership sux when you want "somethin for nothin" aka warenty. I got a head job, water pump and timing belt out of mine, drove the car for 2000 miles and the belt broke and messed everything up.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Neonsxt0486
Rookie

Ok I dropped my car off yesterday and the dealer called about 5 minutes ago. They said nothing is wrong with the car. Figures they would say that. If theres nothing wrong then why am i getting 150 miles to a GD tank when everyone else is getting more. I drive like a grandma. Help me! By the way if anyone has an 02-up R/t dual tip muffler they want to get rid of let me know.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:22 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

I would take it back. I had to take mine back 3 times before they fixed a problem with my car

Old 09-22-2004, 08:00 PM
red91RT
Veteran

Haven't read all the posts, but keep looking for service. You know, not all service is like that about warranty. A good number of the service reps know they get paid and it doesn't have to come out of the client's wallet so they consider it a win-win. In fact, they'll often find things that are wrong that aren't really wrong. . . ).

Meanwhile, the first gen had some years who's computer program was updated and you could have the shop burn the update on to them. When I bought mine I paid to have it done--$45-60$. My brother's was under warranty and he got it done for free--same issue was loosing mileage.

FYI--after I rebuilt my block last year I regularly get 38 MPG and often 39+. With the new PCM I have to put in a pretty strong additive to get 38-39 but i still get 35. There has been a time or two I rolled into the gas station on fumes at 400miles + (First gen is lighter though. . .some advantage.)

. . . course I also just bought a DOHC 5 speed tranny to replace my failed SOHC 5 speed so my mileage will be going down.

Old 09-24-2005, 05:06 PM
mrosenfeld

HELP! I bought my used 2004 Neon SXT mid-July 2005. It has under 23,000 miles on it. I've consistently gotten only 16 mpg around town. I just added an AEM cold air intake system and OBX hi flo. Doesn't seem to have helped. I even had the throttle body/fuel injection service done early. I've been given conflicting opinions about changing out the plugs early, so I haven't done that yet. The dealer acts like I shouldn't expect to get more than 16 mpg and I'm just a ditzy broad. Any ideas out there? I'm at my wit's end....[X(]

Old 09-25-2005, 04:14 AM
dodgeme

i have a 02 se and i get around 320 out of a tank. i have a cold air so i know that helps. another thing is to use LUCAS. they have a bottle of cleaner that you add at fill up. the bottle may cast around 12 dollars but will improve your gas mileage dramatically. it is worth the money by far. lucas is a great product to use on your car all around. they also have a bottle that you add to your oil change that will stop the tapping and will make the oil life last much much longer.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:23 AM
ewetho
All Star

Around here a bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner (Small bottle for 1 tank) is about 5 bucks no more. On sale as low as 3 bucks for 2. But still no match for what I have seen Redline Oil's SL-1 fuel injector and carb cleaner. Tha stuff is AWESOME!!! As far as lucas oil additive, simply put by chemical makeup which is available from the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) it is virtually identical to 1 FULL quart of STP. So check prices 2 bottles of STP may be cheaper. Heck for that matter so Valvolines Oil Treatment. Get the basic version under the NAPA logo cheap. But heck add one bottle of STP to a 5 quart system of 5W-30 and you get 10W-40 so save the money and just put in 10W-40 to start with. For the whole bottle might as well reach for the properly blended 20W-50 that is not susceptible to foaming as other oil are when the additive package gets messed up with LUCAS.

Think I am whack search for the old Consumer reports article and find out that oil labs confirmed the STP change trough Oil Samples sent for Oil Analysis. And as for the Chemicle makeup goto the MSDS forms available online for STP, Valvoline Sythetic Oil Treatment, Lucas, Napa Mac's Oil Treatment (Made by Ashland AKA Valvoline) yeah yeah the systhetic one has some other stuff but the vast majority of the product is the same and after adding you are jsut making 5W-30 a 10W-40 so why not but 10W-40 and save the difference. But you goto one quart of the stuf and you might as well just go ahead and put in the peanut butter known as 20W-50 and save yourself the dime. Ohh but the car only calls for 5W-30 or 10W-30 well sorry your the one changing it.

Quick Reply: Horrible Gas Mileage