Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

neon rebuild kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:46 PM
95n30n_nyg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neon rebuild kit

i have a 1995 DOHC 5 speed M/T. I just got my A'Pexi N1 Turbo Cat-back installed this past weekend, and I LOVE it. it doesn't sound ricey at all, it has a nice growl, i recommend it to anyone going turbo. but anyway, what i came here for, since i have this exhaust, next engine mods will be a rebuild kit, or just buy all of the stuff seperately.. i AM going turbo, Hahn racecraft stage II w/ intercooler. so, i am wanting the best power i can get without swapping my engine for a 2.4L. i have been to modern performance looking at pistons, camshafts, cam gears, gaskets, valve springs, connecting rods.... you name it i have looked for it. there are a bunch of different choices, and i am not a real gearhead yet. so basically, i am wanting to know what camshafts to get, i read on another post for a DOHC that a #12 was a good choice. any opinions?

Also, piston size, anything else that i will need... What I am wanting to do is order everything at once for the bottom/top end, so it can be installed at once. Thanks for any input and if you need more info on what i want, let me know.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:09 AM
red91RT
Veteran
Default RE: neon rebuild kit

The cam issue is the more duration the better for turbo, but the grind is different than a NA car--IE: the lobes for intake are different than exhaust on the turbo grind (for any car). For off the shelf pieces I think a combination of a #14 cam pair and a PCM that would let you rev to 8100 would be real good (I think the one that allows 8100 is AFX (???) which would be HowellAutomotive only (???--it's been a while since I shopped.)

FYI--I've bought some nice rings from Modern and was a little dissappointed because they didn't give as much gapping information, etc., as I would have liked. I later went with a good chrome-moly that I got from a local store called "Winchester Auto". (You'd have a tough time finding them or their stock elsewhere. . . but I'm sure good parts stores would have a nice ring set--check Napa first.)

Also, be SURE that you use the head gasket sealant spray from Mopar when you reassemble--trust me. . .it'll save you a lot of headaches.

To be frank you sound like you have way to much money to be spending on this old neon and not spend it on a new or used SRT4 . . . ? But. . . if you have money to burn and no smog rules to meet then I would probably also throw in that 2.2 stroker crank while you're building up. Not many have done it. . . mostly because the cost is prohibitive for only a .2 liter gain. . . but that is a 10% gain in displacement after all. It would be neat to hear from you in a while to see what your 2.2 stroker 8.5 CR motor with #14 cams can do with the pressure turned up a bit. Done right you could probably be breaking high 11's with mostly off the shelf stuff (probably stage III or IV Hahn). . . .but between block and the broken axles you'll end up replacing. . .maybe even a quaife differential after you break that too. . . you'd be spending a fortune.

Good luck however far you decide to go!

Old 09-30-2004, 05:03 AM
casper
Legend

There are kits on modern performance. I added them up and they are worth it, both top and bottom.

Old 09-30-2004, 07:11 PM
red91RT
Veteran

I agree casper, but you see the comment that he's not really a gearhead? I know what I would charge him if he wanted to pay me to do the work and that would add up quickly.

Since I do my own work, yes I'd consider a 2.2 parts or maaaaybe the assembled shortblock, but why when I can save so much more money swapping in a 2.4 from a yard with about $300 in parts for a refresh build and gain 20% instead of 10% displacement. you'd only have to buy 8.5 pistons with that route instead of the whole rotating assembly or block (if you were going to bump up the pressure a lot).

Some things for you to chew on 93n30n.

Old 10-01-2004, 01:15 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

Ummm...its a bad, I repeat a VERY BAD IDEA to get a performance PCM for turbo. A very bad idea indeed.

I would not suggest that at all.

An AFX raises the rev limit yes, but it also dumps more fuel at an uncontrollable rate. Uncontrolled fuel pressures + Boost = B00M!!!

The proper way to add fuel for turbo is through a rate of rise fuel pressure regulator and a wastegate. Which means, you will have to redo your fuel system and unfortunately your exhaust system. Sorry, but the A'pexi N1 Turbo Cat back System is not going to work with the turbo. You are going to need at least a 3" exhaust system and a nearly straight through muffler. Turbos don't like restrictive exhausts too well.

Quick Reply: neon rebuild kit