Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Seatbelt Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 12:41 AM
SweetieMP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelt Problem

Okay, I need a bit of help here.

We ended up with something jammed in the seatbelt locking mechanism (don't ask, kids). We managed to get the item out, but now it won't spring back, rendering the piece and the seatbelt useless. We have noticed that the lock is bolted to the seat as a whole piece. I need to know what the stock part is for the vehicle and if there is a booklet out there that will show a simple installation of the part, although I could probably figure it out, steps would be grateful.

Specs:
1999 Dodge Neon - 2 Door, 4 cylinder SOHC (I think)

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2004, 01:56 AM
Cr@zy Squ33
Default RE: Seatbelt Problem

Yes, there is a book out there that will show specs and how to remove and install it.

It's called an FSM (Factory Service Manual) and it can only be bought at the dealer for about $100. But it's worth it.

Of course, you could also try Chiltons or Haynes but I wouldn't count on them for anythign more than reference. My suggestion to you, get eh FSM it'll more than pay for itself over time, especially if you plan on doing your own work.

Old 11-11-2004, 12:06 AM
SweetieMP

Oh crap...I wasn't expecting that much.

I used to own a 1985 Buick Somerset a while back, we found a book at Advanced Auto Parts (or Auto Zone, can't remember) for basic maintence (lights, fixing stuff inside the door, etc)...for about $20. That's what I was thinking about for my Neon. Guess its just time for a visit again. Chilton or Haynes sounds like a familiar name to me, but I'm not sure if this was it, they had a rack for just about every make and model out there though.

Anyway, it looks pretty plain and simple to do. I mean, it bolts to the seat.
From what parts I can find out there, you have to buy the whole set (belt and lock)...and I don't need the belt. That or the configuration is not the same as what I have and I REALLY don't want to have to redo one entire seat.

The poor thing has to go in for body work next week, I'll just ask them to tack it onto the bill if I can find nothing else.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:02 PM
casper
Legend

Goto the Junk yard and pick up the correct seatbelt. Should be $10 or somethin like that. Goto the auto parts store and pick up a Repair manual, like $15. You don't need the $100 Factory manual, it is good and is much, much more detailed than the ones at autozone, but your replacing a seatbelt, not rebuilding a motor. there is no reason you can't fix it yourself. I think all you have to do is take the front seat out and you can get right at it.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt Problem