Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, before 75K ( older models )
0%
Yes, before 105K ( newer models )
50.00%
Yes, After 105K but before 150K
0%
Yes, after 150K
25.00%
No, never bothered and still going strong.
25.00%
Whats a Timing belt?
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you changed your timing belt due to manufactures recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:59 PM
JimRoss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you changed your timing belt due to manufactures recommendations?

How many of you changed your timing belt due to manufactures recommendations ( and NOT because it broke )as a preventitive maintainence?

We bought our Neon SE new in 2003, primarily for the wife to drive back and forth to work ( 70 miles RT ). She has 110,000 miles on it now. I knew the timing belts didnt last forever, so I started researching on when it should be replaced. I found out the 2003 is recommended to be replaced at 105,000 miles, but the older models were recommended to be replaced at 60,000 miles. Upon further research, I found out I should replace the water pump at the same time, to save on labor. I called up our local repair facilty to make an appointment to have this work done. While talking to Gary ( the owner ), he also recommend changing out the tensioner pulley. He stated it has a sealed bearing and that a large percent of timing belt failures are actually the tensioner pulley bearing failure to be the cause. So, I ordered a GatorBack belt and tensioner kit from Autozone ( $92.00 ). Soon as it comes in, I'll pickup the water pump for $38, couple gals of coolantand 2 new regular V-belts and Gary is doing the labor for $150. $300 for the total job. Not bad considering the dealer wanted$600+ ( not counting the tensioner pulley and v-belts ).

Old 11-15-2007, 02:30 PM
TN.Frank
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many of you changed your timing belt due to manufactures recommendations?

While you're in there you could add an Under Drive Pully that comes with belts and add a few HP to the motor.
Glad ya' posted this thread, I was wondering how often the Timing Belt should be replaced. My '05 has just under 38K on it so I've got a while to go before it needs replacing.

Quick Reply: How many of you changed your timing belt due to manufactures recommendations?