Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

how do you know your neon is DOHC or SOHC

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:41 PM
GrApHite03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how do you know your neon is DOHC or SOHC

I just asked mine and it told me... I have a very smart and articulate neon.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Stecko

i had a SOHC in a car and in another a DOHC its easy to tell and on the DOHC sometimes its not writen on the valve cover as b4 i changed my head it had a black valve over then i put a 2.4 head in and it had 2.4 DOHC 16 valve writen on it. and also just by lookin at the end SOHC wouldnt take up as much space DOHC is much biger

In the photo is a picture of a DOHC

Hope this helps

[IMG]local://upfiles/89781/92D1737F40494D508B3F01D0EBDB5DA8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2008, 04:12 PM
ACCLR8N

If the 8th digit of you V.I.N.# is a "C", it's a SOHC. If it's a "Y", it a DOHC.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:12 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ACCLR8N

If the 8th digit of you V.I.N.# is a "C", it's a SOHC. If it's a "Y", it a DOHC.
if you havent had a head swap

Old 05-16-2008, 02:21 AM
tzh

I also cant reconize my friend's neon

Old 06-20-2019, 10:55 AM
cody castranova
Default I need help!!!!!

Originally Posted by Slashwannabe
12volt gave a very very generic answer.

If the motors valve cover doesn't say what Engine it is, its a 1995SOHC

Dual Over Head Cam Motors Say on the Valve Cover DOHC. SOHC motors after 1995 say SOHC on the valve cover.

I have a Dodge Neon 1998 Its a dirt race car the guy said it was completely stock blue a ring in first race pulled head off.. head is single overhead cam but looks brand-new compared to the spear head he gave me ...the two heads are different ??? it's a 2. 0 engine in car but how do I figure out what year my bottom end is and if it's dual or single overhead cam bottom end?? I've looked up the VIN for the car and it says it's dual overhead cam 2. 0 but it had a single overhead cam head on it and the extra head he gave me is also a single overhead cam I know he probably put single overhead cam over dual for racing purposes but I need to ensure I'm ordering right parts.. I hope Someone can please help me figure this out I will post pictures of casting..

Last edited by cody castranova; 06-20-2019 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-04-2022, 05:54 AM
Stoney1102

Originally Posted by Slashwannabe
Since when aren't they labeled on the DOHC? I'd like to see this.
the valve cover isnt labeled on any dohc 95 to 98 I have 5 of them its on the damn airbox tube not the valve cover. And yes the easiest way to tell is just look at the cover. You critizize it was a vauge answer obviosly you should do more googling before making it sound like you are the authority on valve covers cause the 2.0 dohc doesnt have it on the valve cover. Or maybe you thought the airbox inlet tube was the valve cover. Most cars with pugs in center of head are not stamped. Have a great day.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:00 AM
Stoney1102

Originally Posted by cody castranova
I have a Dodge Neon 1998 Its a dirt race car the guy said it was completely stock blue a ring in first race pulled head off.. head is single overhead cam but looks brand-new compared to the spear head he gave me ...the two heads are different ??? it's a 2. 0 engine in car but how do I figure out what year my bottom end is and if it's dual or single overhead cam bottom end?? I've looked up the VIN for the car and it says it's dual overhead cam 2. 0 but it had a single overhead cam head on it and the extra head he gave me is also a single overhead cam I know he probably put single overhead cam over dual for racing purposes but I need to ensure I'm ordering right parts.. I hope Someone can please help me figure this out I will post pictures of casting..
it was probaly suicide swapped they do it a lot with the dohc they swap it to single overhead cam saves money and time and is easier to time has a little more get up then a stock neon.

Quick Reply: how do you know your neon is DOHC or SOHC