Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

reverse gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 04:17 AM
evilneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse gauge

I just baught reverse gauges for my 95 sport off ebay. all my friends say they come with the crapiest instructions. Are they hard to install yourself? Becouse thats whats going to happen.(self instalation)thanks

Old 04-12-2005, 04:10 AM
evilneon
Default RE: reverse gauge

I was just wondering ,no one ever realy answers my questions any ways,if they do its only one person(thanks man). even though there is alot of good advise on this forum.

Old 04-16-2005, 03:41 AM
evilneon

ok I really need help i just got the gauges for my 95,do the needles need to come off and you just put the euro guages over the stock ones? From the sound of it thats what I need to do will someone please help. Im stuck and dont know what to do.

Old 04-18-2005, 05:49 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

First, you have to take the needles off your current cluster to put the overlay on. You don't have to remove the stock black overlay, it's glued on and will provide support for your new one. You may want to make note of where the fuel gauge indicates (if yours still works) and where the temp gauge is when warm (not that it's accurate anyways...).

You will need to make sure the areas where the needles will sweep are taped (double-sticky) or glued (rubber cement works fine) very well, or the needles will catch and hang.

Your best bet for power is from the parking lights. Pretty sure they are a black wire with a yellow stripe coming from the main light switch. You DO NOT want to tap into the dimmer, or any lights coming off the dimmer (like the defrost switch), it will blow out the transformer/power supply in no time.

Once the overlay is on, put the cluster back in without the clear plastic cover, start the car and let it warm up for a while, then put the needles back on for the fuel and temp. Now the real fun begins... If you have a tach cluster, you may want to consider borrowing or buying a cheap aftermarket tach and tapping into one of the coil wires. The temp tach will be half of actual rpm, so keep that in mind when putting the needle back on the stock cluster (not that the factory tach is remarkably accurate either...). Helps to have a second person keeping RPM's steady while you put the needle on. The higher the RPM, the more accurate you are likely to be. Now that you have a semi-accurate RPM, you can calculate out the gear ratios to see what RPM in what gear gives you X MPH (neons.org has a calculator for this). Or, to do it without a tach, have a second car drive at a predetermined speed and set the speedometer when your speeds are matched. Again, a second person (to hold the steering wheel and comment on whether or not you are maintaining speed) is very helpful. Also, like before, the higher the rpm, the better. 75-80 MPH in 3rd gear is high enough to meet both of those, assuming you can find a lonely enough road to do so. The needles can be a pain to get back on, takes a gentle touch (force it, and it will break...), and tends to drift a tiny bit if your hand isn't steady or the road is bumpy (or you have a suspension like mine...).

Now that all the needles are back on, pull the cluster back out, put the clear plastic guard on, and re-install (again).

I went through 2 sets of those silly gauges before giving up, so that's 3 needle installations... quite enough for me...

Best of luck!

Old 04-18-2005, 06:07 AM
evilneon

it wouldnt work just puting the needles all in the down possition? They wont go up to were they were befour? ****! I was hoping they would. You never got yours to work?

Old 04-19-2005, 08:17 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

They worked. The first set got hooked up to the dimmer switch, dumb idea... Got a new set with better graphics and hooked it up correctly. Worked great for a while, but the needles kept getting stuck even though I'd used double sticky tape. Got fed up, took 'em off, and got rid of them.

Quick Reply: reverse gauge