Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

98 dodge neon wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:26 PM
harwood
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 98 dodge neon wont start!

hello, i have a 98 dodge neon and i cant get it to start. it worked fine then i took out the battery to use for a friends car, and not using my car it set for 1 month, then getting a new battery i put it in to move my car and it woulnt start. i checked the codes and it comes up code 54 cam shaft position sencor not getting signal at pcm. so i changed the cam sensor and still no start and get the same code please some one help. i'm going nuts trying to start this car...

Old 02-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Twkdout066

I would suggest you clean all your electrical connections. I was working on a 54? 64? Thunderbird. The owner had replaced the engine transmission and most of the parts on the car with no luck. I spent about 20 minutes unplugging and cleaning the electrical connections and it fired right up. Probably the easiest time I ever had troubleshooting and fixing a problem.
Hope this helps you find the problem

Old 03-04-2010, 01:08 PM
2002ACRNEON
Rookie

My son did a cam swap on his '97 SOHC Neon and forgot to transfer the cam position magnet over to the new cam. The car was extremely difficult to start and run plus the CEL came on.He put the magnet in and it ran like a champ and no more code.

You haven't identified if you have a SOCH or DOHC neon, but during the battery exchange event, you may have effected the cam position sensor wiring. Double check the connector and the wire for possible damage.breaks.

Hopefully, it is only dirty.

Quick Reply: 98 dodge neon wont start!