Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Faulty Alternator or Something else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Aceninja
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty Alternator or Something else?

Hi Guys,

I have a 2002 Neon RT that recently started having a bit of electrical problems. I was driving it when the Battery light came on and the engine went completely dead. Attempts to jump start it failed and it turns out that the battery is fine.

The reason for the car going dead however was due to a blown fuse the 20Amp FP/ASD fuse.

I hooked it up to a load meter and the alternator does not seem to be charging the battery, voltage outputted when car was revved to 1500rpm was around 11v. The battery itself at the moment can put out close to 12v when car is turned off. (it is a bit drained from the Alt, not charging the battery)

And then there is the error code 0622, alternator field not switching properly.

All this points to a faulty alternator I take it, Since I am not that mechanically inclined, I thought I would ask you guys for your input. Can it be caused by something else? Would a bad Alternator explain the blown fuse?

Or could the 20Amp FP/ASD fuse being blown out signify something else? What does FP/ASD stand for?

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Twkdout066

Well I am not sure what FP/ASD stands for, but I do know that fuses generally blow when something pulls too much current like a shorted wire. I would check for damaged and corroded wires in the engine bay before replacing the alternator. There are some places that can check an alternator with it still in the car as well. Also if the current spiked in you car i.e. shorted wire there is a chance it fried the diodes in the alternator which would mean theoretically you could replace the alternator and have the same thing happen again. HTH

Old 02-27-2010, 10:24 PM
leprechaun1874
Professional

fp/asd is fuel pump/ auto shutdown

Quick Reply: Faulty Alternator or Something else?