Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Curious about a few things...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 07:38 AM
PhatZilla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious about a few things...

Hey new poster here and I just have a few questions. I have an 04 neon sxt and have questions about the side affects of lowering my car using spring clamps..is this likely to kill my hardware faster than usual? Also I have noticed a slight gentle clicking noise sort of like a muscle car sound, mostly when it's freezing freaking cold outside. I am wondering if it is somehow sound coming from my intake, because I removed the lid to the airbox because i like the way it sounds, until i get a CAI. functionaly, it is flawless, drove it from here to canada and back just as it is and it ran fine so i dont think anything is wrong, just curious because i never paid attention to the sounds my other sxt made before it was totaled lol. And finaly, i am trying to find a cost effective pair of blacked out heads or tails for my car. any ideas?

Old 04-25-2005, 12:44 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Default RE: Curious about a few things...

Never heard of spring clamps, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Just buy some lowering springs that are made for the car and be done with it. They aren't that expensive. You're not hurting anything by having the top off the airbox, its also not really helping you much more then having it on either. It will make more noise though.

Old 04-26-2005, 08:20 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: Curious about a few things...

Spring clamps are an option, but yes, they'll shorten the life of the struts some because you'll be bottoming them out more. Same thing applies to lowering springs, depending on the size of the drop.

The clicking is probably just the valvetrain. Standard on the Neons for whatever reason, has to do with hydraulic lifter, although it's a bit louder than I've heard on other cards with similar setups. Changing the weight of oil you are using may make a little difference. Some people have better results going heavier, others going lighter. I stay with 5W30 Mobil1 year round, the noise doesn't bother me...

I'm sure there are several vendors that sell the headlight and taillight covers. Try Modern Performance and Howell Automotive first.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Curious about a few things...