Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

'03 Neon, hesitates when taking off

Old 02-24-2010, 11:02 PM
shneeze
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '03 Neon, hesitates when taking off

i changed the transmission at 83k miles
we've replaces throttle post. sensor, air idle, sparks n plugs, oil sending unit, air filter, transmisson filter, and troque converter.

the car will hesitite on take off and sometimes when backing up
we had a problem where the car would rev up on take off then jerk really bad. we changed the torque converter and its fine but now i'm having the hesitation again

a week ago someone put oil in my transmisson so we had to clean all that out. could there still be oil in the tranny causing it to hesitate and lag?

it also doesnt seem to have alot of power

any help is good!

Old 02-27-2010, 03:10 AM
BroodRed
Professional

Automatic or Manual?

Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 PM
shneeze

its an automatic

Old 03-05-2010, 03:20 PM
KrazyPyro77

having the same problem here too

Old 03-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Twkdout066

Did the problem start with the transmission rebuild? If so what kind of rebuild did they do?

If they did a street strip rebuild they would have put a high stall torque converter in which would explain the rev up then the jerk into fast speed.

And I know this is and old school question but does anyone know how the shift points for these cars are controlled is it a kickdown, vacuum, or is it controlled electronically?

If it is controlled electronically it could be someone forgot to reconnect the wire from the computer to the transmission or the computer connector is loose.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:05 PM
josh8950

Coil pack!! i have had two neons and am having some crazy transmission problem right now but I have replaced the coil packs on both of them multiple times, i usually pull another from the junk yard but it always starts with it not having very much power going up hills and stuff, then it gets worse, i started with a tuneup the first time it happened to me, plugs and wires - it helped sorta but after i swapped coil packs it felt better than ever - until the junkyard one went out again. it was worse on the automatic than the manual.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:24 PM
shneeze

the problem did start with the rebuild, im not sure how they done it tho =(
the problem has stopped, we put a fuel system cleaner in and replaced filter and sumthing else and that problem is gone.
however its jerking really bad now when im at red light, if i put it in neutral and rev it up it stops. last night it shifted hard and then just stopped shifting, smelt pretty bad. idk what to do, took it to a transmission shop said the filter collasped, changing it now
oil light dings on a lot or stays on, idk what that is about
its driving me crazy!

Old 03-25-2010, 02:41 PM
shneeze

update: transmission went out =(
trying to get another from the garage that did it last time, since the transmission only lasted 5 months =\

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '03 Neon, hesitates when taking off