Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Manual Trans Grinds with clutch out

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:49 PM
josh8950
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Trans Grinds with clutch out

hello, I'm new here hoping to find some help with my brothers 99 sohc neon. it has a five speed in it and recently it was leaking oil out of the main seal so we took it all apart replaced the seal and clutch pack. about a month later whenever the clutch is out with the car in gear it just grinds, wont move at all. so we towed it back to the house, pulled a trans from a crashed car at the junkyard, installed it only to have the same problem. surely we had a crazy coincidence of two bad transmissions so we pulled ANOTHER from the junkyard, dropped it in with the same problem.
whenever we put the new clutch pack in with the original trans, with the clutch out, in neutral, it would make a grinding, scraping noise with the speed of the motor, we used the clutch alignment tool and everything, but now with the new trans same clutch it doesnt make the noise as loud, but with it in any gear as soon as i let the clutch out it just grinds instead of moving, and three bad transmissions??? whats the chances of that? thank you - josh

Old 03-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Twkdout066

Check your installation procedures. I had an acura that someone installed the clutch backwards in and you describe a similar sound.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:12 PM
2002_SXT

Did u try adjusting the shift cables that go to the transmission?

Old 03-24-2010, 03:51 PM
josh8950

nope the clutch is the right direction, and we didn't adjust the cables but it all looks like its working fine, where do i adjust the cables at? the shifter? hmmm i think thats the direction i'll go, it all looks like it works but if its off just a little bit i wouldn't be able to look at it and tell.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:43 PM
josh8950

drive axles maybe? i don't know what else could do it. i checked today and the shifter cables are all tight its either that or i have a p.o.s. clutch

Old 03-31-2010, 12:45 AM
josh8950

i tried drive axles err cv joints err half shafts err whatever you call a driveshaft for a front wheel drive thats split into two facing the wrong direction ..... we tried new half shafts and that didnt work? anyone agree with the clutch theory?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:05 AM
2002ACRNEON
Rookie

Originally Posted by josh8950
hello, I'm new here hoping to find some help with my brothers 99 sohc neon. it has a five speed in it and recently it was leaking oil out of the main seal so we took it all apart replaced the seal and clutch pack. about a month later whenever the clutch is out with the car in gear it just grinds, wont move at all. so we towed it back to the house, pulled a trans from a crashed car at the junkyard, installed it only to have the same problem. surely we had a crazy coincidence of two bad transmissions so we pulled ANOTHER from the junkyard, dropped it in with the same problem.
whenever we put the new clutch pack in with the original trans, with the clutch out, in neutral, it would make a grinding, scraping noise with the speed of the motor, we used the clutch alignment tool and everything, but now with the new trans same clutch it doesnt make the noise as loud, but with it in any gear as soon as i let the clutch out it just grinds instead of moving, and three bad transmissions??? whats the chances of that? thank you - josh
Chrysler has two clutch designs -modular and conventional where the clutch tool is required.

1.) Since you need to take the flywheel off for the rear main, could it have been re-installed "backwards" (inside to outside)? I don't know - probably a dumb question.

2.) With the engine off, have you shifted the tranny into each gear and tried pushing the car? If the clutch is truely grabbing and the shifter is getting a gear, then the car would be difficult to push plus the engine would be trying to rotate.

3.) Could you have re-connect the two shifter cables [that attach at the transimission] backwards (selector to cross-over and vice versa)? Don't think so, another dumb question?

4.) You haven't mentioned the clutch cable itself - since the cable pulls to release the clutch, I don't know how a bad or damaged clutch cable would prevent engagement, only a failure to disengage I would think.

5.) It sounds like the clutch did work for one month? I have had new parts go bad before - if you get into the tranny and clutch again, inspect the clutch surfaces and flywheel for scoring/heat/etc. If the clutch is under warranty, turn it in for a replacement?

Quick Reply: Manual Trans Grinds with clutch out