Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Blown Intake Manifold Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:02 AM
Spadzo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Intake Manifold Gasket

This is my first post

Ok. So I have a 1995 Dodge Neon SOHC Automatic transmission. I am 90% sure that I have a Blown Intake Manifold Gasket. When I give her gas I am getting a very loud guzzling sound coming from my engine. I took it to my mechanic and he said it would cost me $100 to fix for a SOHC. I am wondering if I can change this myself??? Is this easy to do or should I get it fixed by my mechanic??

For reference: I have absolutely no experience and no knowledge of engines. I am trying to save myself some money (I am a university student) and try to fix this problem myself. Firstly, I don't even know where my intake manifold is on my car. Secondly, I do not know how to remove it. Thirdly, how do you replace the gasket?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Rick_021808
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its on the front of the engine and i have not had mine off yet but Im not sure if it would not be a easy job for someone with little/no knowledge of engines. Parts should be under $20 I would think and probably take the mechanic an hour to do. Also, do you have a decent tool set as that might also play a factor into the cost if you have to buy tools. Also consider if something did go wrong, you could end up costing yourself more than the $100.

If you did want to learn and are willing to then you could give it a try, there should be a how to somewhere or if you plan on fixing your car more often you could pick up a Haynes manual at a parts store, that will cost an extra 20-30 bucks though....
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Blown Intake Manifold Gasket