Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 01:43 AM
XrZ_MsN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission

Is there anyway i can get better shifting out of my automatic neon? its 132hp stock and i have around 145 with a few small mods i have. Also, this weekend me and this kid at school are going to the drag strip and racing, he has a 1997 cavalier with 120hp and a stupid tip muffler (just for looks heh) automatic also, would i win this race?

Is shifting through the gears, 1, Drive, Over drive help at all? or should i just keep it in over drive and mat it? heh

plz help[:'(]

Old 05-10-2005, 04:36 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Automatic Transmission

better shifting.. you could get a manual valve body, better transfer gears, and a higher stall converter... but i dunno how much youd like that for a daily driver.

put it in 2, and leave it there (put in 3 if 4spd auto). dont manual shift it from 1-2-3

now, if you will win the race or not. i dunno actually.. im gonna take a guess that if hes a 2.2.. you should. if hes got the 2.4 in there, which im doubting.. he may win. again, i dunno for sure as i dunno what kinda times the crapaliers put out in automatic form.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:16 AM
XrZ_MsN

Yeah, he has the most stock u can get 2.2 120hp...mine is a 4dr and its actually about 30lb lighter than his coupe

i have 1 gear, D gear, and OD gears....just leave it in D gear? or 1 to D?

Old 05-10-2005, 12:08 PM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, just leave it in D.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:10 AM
Hate Puppet

I'd steer clear of the reverse manual VB for your car unles you plan on track only. You are only going to get about 5k out of the reverse manual.

But they do make a street/strip VB and a race VB along with performance and race rebuild kits. You can also try and find 1.22 transfer gears out of old New Yorker 1985 or up with the 2.2 Turbo or Dodge Omni's with the 2.2 turbo for those.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission