Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:59 PM
cyoder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating issues

hey guys i need some help again. Just recently got thru changing the timing belt on my buddy's 2003 dodge neon 2.0 l sohc. The car started as soon as i hit the key and runs good. The problem is though that as soon as the car is put in gear it wants to start overheating. I ran it for 20 mins in one spot and it didnt get very hot but as soon as i put in gear the gauge just goes right on up. I dont know what could be the problem. The reservoir is full tge radiator is full, what else could be wrong?

Old 05-30-2011, 01:48 PM
chronoboy
Rookie

you checked all your coolent's? made sure there up to par. ive had this same issue twice with two diff rigs, on my 4runner it was the water pump went out, and the other time was in my wifes old integra and that turned out to be the thermostat wasnt opening all the way so when you started to put stress on the engine the thermo wasnt letting anough water throught to cool down.

A easy way to check your thermostat is to take it out and boil some water, when it gets hot drop your thermostat in the water and see if it opens all the way or even opens at all.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:30 PM
cyoder

I put a brand new thermostat in it.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:33 AM
twoskinsoneman

Make sure your radiator fans are turning on.
Also there are indications of water pump failure.
You can usually squeeze the coolant line and feel the water flowing. Once the thermo opens

Quick Reply: overheating issues