Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

staled out reported coil pack after it's been replaced

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:58 PM
LomzLaw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry staled out reported coil pack after it's been replaced

Hey guys hope someone can help.

I have an 04 Neon with aprox 170k miles, the little thing is solid; body and engine, it runs great, I've put some money in it over the years including a tyranny cpl months back. Recently it started bucking and staling at speed.
I took it to the mech and the codes were reporting the coil pack so we replaced it and all wiring. 24 hours later is did the same thing and codes came up again reporting back coil pack. So after banging around on the eng testing for loose connections or shorts we figured we'd swap the ECM, after the swap reprogram etc... it's still doing it.
Seems to happen more often when hot, my commute is an hour and it seem to happen most when I get close to work or home. After the swap it does seem to be worse; don't know if the swap made it worse or the issue itself is getting worse ad there has been no interaction.

Behavior:
As I said she seems pretty solid, just trucking along at 75, and it'll start bucking, sometimes stop bucking and start again a mile down the road sometimes 10 min later, and or keep bucking, notice a definite drop in power from say 100% to 80%, the check engine light is sometimes on sometimes blinking in no pattern, I can kind of maintain my speed with the pedal at the position it was in when it started to buck as long as there is no hill (requiring more power) or I don't let my foot off. If I give it more gas I get no response in power, if I let off I cant get back to where i was, I can go along like this for a limited period of time, enough to get me to the side of the road, as soon as I come to a stop it'll die or shudder and die.

It's like it wants to die but I'm keeping it alive by forcing fuel down it's thought.

Usually an immediate restart will get me back on the road with no adverse running state other then the check engine light lit solid.
Sometimes it needs to sit for 10 min, once it needed a day before it would turn over (cranks but will not run).

As I said after the ECM swap it seems to happen more often, not just at high temp now, the car may have been sitting overnight and it'll buck once or twice a mile from home.
I wanna say the file pump but why is the ECM reporting Coil pack?

Thanks guys, i really want to give this to my niece, for the summer

Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 PM
LomzLaw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:
Pulled the codes after a long commute home stalling out over and over.
Injector 2, 3 and Cylinder A, B open...the same codes before the Coil pack and ECM replacements.

Quick Reply: staled out reported coil pack after it's been replaced