Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Constant clunking and white smoke from engine only

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 PM
hthwli
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constant clunking and white smoke from engine only

My car has been making a grinding noise on the front passenger side when I go from first gear to second gear, and in the past week it has actually been doing it in every gear. Today, as I was driving, got to a stop sign and started to go and there was a load clunk, then constant clunking and white smoke coming from the engine. Smoke was drivers side closer to the windshield. There was no smoke coming from my exhaust though. The engine didn't seize, was still going and I was able to drive a few feet to get out of the intersection. Turned my car off and had it towed. Check engine light didn't come on, had an oil change and transmission inspection last week. There's no fluids leaking that I could see. Before today, the mechanic I had been talking to said it sounded like a broken motor mount. Car was on the books to be in the shop tomorrow for the supposed motor mount. Not sure this current issue could be the motor mount though. Anybody have any ideas of what it could be?

Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a motor mount. White smoke is usually a sign of water burning IE: coolant, radiator, head gasket, water pump. I am sure if you having a mechanic look at it he should have no problem figuring it out. If you need anymore help just update this post.

Quick Reply: Constant clunking and white smoke from engine only