Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Please fill me in on changing the brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Stuka
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please fill me in on changing the brake pads

Hi guys,
My daughter owns a 2002 Dodge Neon, and I am headed up to Austin (from Houston) to change her front brake pads. I've changed brakes on several cars, that's not a big deal. But I thought I better check with the experts (you) and see if there are any special tools, left turn thread lug bolts, tricks, etc that I need to know before I leave in the morning. I'm taking metric and SAE tools.

Advice?

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2012, 08:24 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget Brake lube, piece of sand paper, and a wire brush. Nothing special about neon brakes. Just another brake job. Its not a trapped rotor or anything. While the car is up and before the tire is off give it a good wiggle/shake down to check your tie rod ends and ball joint. Steering, braking, and suspension is important for her safety. If the car has rear drum pull the drums and clean everything with brake cleaner, let it dry then adjust the rear brakes so there is a little drag on the rear tires, not enough to hold it though. You may need to drive and adjust them, you don't want to feel the rear drop or grab before the fronts. Proper rear brake adjustment saves your front brakes and decreases stopping distance. Check the tires for uneven wear or high/low spots also.

Last edited by I_Ride_Neon; 08-06-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Please fill me in on changing the brake pads