Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

steering problem, grinding noise when turning right only

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 12:38 AM
wescream1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering problem, grinding noise when turning right only

2000 dodge neon, 140k.

car makes a grinding noise only when turning to the right. there is no noise when turning to the left. it also doesnt happen when i first start driving, i would say after 5-10 minutes it would start doing the noise. one thing though is that i think its most likely coming from within the steering wheel but i also think it maybe coming from the front right tire area, i am not sure what area the noise is coming from. i am just wondering what can be causing this and if it is safe to drive it?

i can either chose to do the repairs within this week, but if its safe, i would much rather wait til next weekend. Another thing i need to add is that the ball joints (i believe are called) were recently replaced on the 2 front tires. i had someone turn the wheel will i looked under the car to see if the ball joints where the source but i didnt even see the ball joints move (do they even move?)

I can describe the noise as like a grinding noise, but i can also say that it sounds like 2 dry rubber items rubbing against each other. The noise also only occurs when i first turn the steering wheel to the right in the initial first turn (360 degrees) or half turn (180 degrees), but once i have passed a full 360 turn of the wheel, the noise stops and it doesnt sound for the rest of the turn. no noise when straightening the tires either after a right turn. there is sufficient power steering fluid in the container. Thakns

Old 08-24-2012, 12:50 AM
wescream1
Rookie

the noise is kinda like this, but not as bad and its only when turn to the right for the first 90-270 degrees. and it doesnt make the noise when i put the steering wheel back to straighten the car out. any help?

Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 AM
wescream1
Rookie

not as loud either. and no noise when driving straight, no knocking noise either.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:30 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

You have a bad strut turn plate, possibly known as a bearing plate. its part of the strut mount. Change the mounts in the front to fix your noise, have someone listen to which side its coming from and you could get away with doing one. Easiest way is to buy some quick struts and throw them in. They have the struts, spring and mount ready to install.

Quick Reply: steering problem, grinding noise when turning right only