Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Driver door won't open

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:07 PM
holmquistc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver door won't open

Hey guys. I'm Chris. I'm totally new to the forum here. I have a 2005 Neon SXT. I just recently got into the minor fender bender the other day. A lady side swiped me on the driver's side of the car and now my door won't open. I was told in great detail by my cousin who is very mechanically inclined and he told me how to fix this. The door will only open a couple of inches at the least. If I remember correctly he said to reach into the tire area and take off that black car body cover thingy (sorry, I forget the name of it) and remove some screws and adjust something. I just can't remember how to adjust it. Can you tell me how? Please no questions about insurance. I'm already looking into that. For a while the door was making a popping sound every time I opened it. Now it just won't open at all.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I have seen cars get hit in the rear, and the front doors wouldn't shut anymore. When the car is in an accident it can get hit out of "square" which will cause body pieces to no longer line up. Sounds like the door is binding somewhere. The goal is to find where its binding, and adjust the door or bend stuff until its free. You can pull off the inner wheel well to try and get to the bolts to the door hinge if thats what your referring to.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:54 PM
holmquistc

Ok that's all fine and dandy but how do I remove the wheel well? I'm currently reading through the manual

Old 09-23-2012, 11:08 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by holmquistc
Ok that's all fine and dandy but how do I remove the wheel well? I'm currently reading through the manual
Remove the screws and clips holding it in? If you cant remove the plastic wheel well, I would just have someone else do it.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

If she side swiped the door, then it is very possible that the hinges are bent and not allowing the door to swing open. This assumes that the front edge of the door is not physically catching on something (such as the fender or the wheel well covers).

If she hit you, she should have to pay for it, so go by a body shop and let them diagnose what is wrong, give an estimate on how much to fix it, then present the paperwork to her insurance company.

If YOU damage it further by brute forcing it (or removing and possibly breaking parts while you do it), her insurance may not cover that damage and YOU will have to pay for it - I would not take that chance.

Quick Reply: Driver door won't open