Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Changed Head Unit(HU) to aftermarket....wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Camarillo_1310
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed Head Unit(HU) to aftermarket....wont turn on

I had originally purchased a HU for my astro...itook it out to put into my 96 neon coup. When a two friends and I did the switch we managed to turn the HU on to make sure it was functional. We ran out of time and I took the car home to finish it the next day.

all we needed was to screw it on. we had the HU just barely on the previous day with the ground cable on to some screw coming out from the back of the HU...but not screwed on..like i said..it was only touching it.

the following day i tried to test it again and it worked the same way with the ground barely touching.

i began to hook up my subwoofers. remote to HU, power to the front battery and everything was seeming to come along...

i proceeded to finally putting in the remote cables to the HU to finish it...idid so.

now came the issue.

HEAD UNIT DID NOT TURN ON.

after a whole week ..today...we went back to check it and we find the fuse to the radio blown. i remembered i had gotten a spark when i was connecting to the battery..oops

ibought it..
it was a number 10 in the inside fuse box.

it still did not turn on.

now i come on here to see if anyone knows what to do.

one thing that i do want to mention that will probably get some of you pointing to the issue right away is that when iwas getting the HU from the astro to the neon. i bought the wrong adapter..so we cut wires and threw out the adapter and simply connected colors...The only reason i dont think this is the issue is that the HU was working after the cutting and connecting colors...remember..ihad gotten it to turn on twice before it did not turn on....

also..ichecked the fuse to the HU and it is still intact.

SOMETHING ELSE:
behind the original radio there is a little wire with a closed ring that looks like something that would work as ground..what is that?

idid not take out the orignal HU so idk if it was hooked on previously or if ineed it for the new HU.

idid try putting the ground cable from the HU to this "ring"..((idk what to call it.))
ialso tried without.

my solution is simple...the ground cable is the issue...it prob is loose somewhere where we cut and heat shrink..
imean, isnt that all you need to turn it on???
forget about the harnest thing that connects from the old HU to the new HU.
all it needs is power from the ground to solely turn on.

any help would be greatly appreciated..

if no one can help i appreciate your time in reading this.

my final solution is to take it to some electrician or audio guy to figure it out...or just buy a new HU from Sonicelectronix...idk

SOMEONE HELP!! please

Thank you all.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So did you cut the factory harness clip off and use those wires, or did you actually use an installation adapter? Yes the wire with the ring is a ground, but usually the antenna is plenty enough ground for it to work.

1st check fuse 16 (10amp) inside the fuse box, also check it for power while the key is ON.

2nd check fuse 13 (10amp) in the PDC center under the hood. This fuse should be hot even with the key off.

3rd The Red/White (on the factory harness) wire hooks to the RED on the cd player, PINK hooks to Yellow on the CD player.

Red/White should be hot with key on, Pink should be hot all the time.

Black/Yellow is dimmer switch
ORANGE is interior light system

Quick Reply: Changed Head Unit(HU) to aftermarket....wont turn on