Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Found the Misfire source! cracked Intake Valve Seals in Cyl #2

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Found the Misfire source! cracked Intake Valve Seals in Cyl #2

My sohc motor has always used a lot of oil when driven hard, I figured it was the pcv valve not being able to keep up at High RPM, I litterally take this motor up to about 7,000 Rpm all the time (I have the dohc pcm in the car and that few extra rpm's it gives me is very nice to have!). Anyway I started putting two and two together and I did change my exhaust valve seals 2 years ago but I was never able to do the intake side because of needing a special tool, though I did use a 19mm wrench to pivot off the rocker arm shafts for the exhaust side.

I've been smelling a lot of oil in the exhaust and the leak down and compression test had great numbers especially for a 253,000 mile motor so litterally the last thing it could be is the intake valve seals, the exhaust ones were cracked two years ago when I replaced them and finding the left over intake seals the other day made me think I should change them lol. Now the hard part finding a damn spring compressor!.

I'm pretty confident this will fix the issue, My truck had the same exact symptoms prior to changing the valve seals, this also reinforced my idea that changing the valve seals should fix the issues.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 10-11-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Found the Misfire source! cracked Intake Valve Seals in Cyl #2