Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 03:35 AM
dodgeme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window tinting

does anybody have any tips on putting on window tint. i can take it to someone to get done, but i usually do all of my own work. i install everything myself and like to keep it that way. that is what makes my car unique. so any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:02 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: window tinting

- Make sure all the windows are exceptionally clean. Use soap and water, not glass cleaner. Most parts stores sell window tint kits that have soap, squeegie, etc. for $5 or so - splurge...
- Before taking the backing off, wet the outside of the window and stick the tint sheet to it (backing side to the window). Cut to size with a razor blade. If you're doing the front windshield area, be sure to make a cutout for the mirror, if applicable. Helps to remove the mirror as well.
Make sure it doesn't slip around or you'll end up cutting off too much. If you're really adventurous, you can pull off the door panels and completely remove the side windows. Doesn't really do much for you other than making sure there's absolutely no visible lines.
- Wet (soak) the front windshield (or back window) with soap and water and place the outside of the tint on it. Then remove the backing from the back side. This way the tint sticks to the front windshield and won't curl up on you while you try to remove the backing.
- Wet the window you are tinting, wet the tint (adhesive side). Do not be stingy with the soap and water!
- Carefully transfer the tint to the inside of the window. I usually work from the top down. Then use a squeegie to get all the air bubbles out.
- Do not roll down the windows for 3-4 days. If bubbles form, do not try to get rid of them. If you notice a haze forming, ignore it. If a week goes by and you still have haze, bubbles, or are otherwise unhappy with the job, remove the tint (little kits for that too) and try again.

Best of luck!

Old 10-06-2005, 01:13 AM
alpine25
Veteran

I wish it was that easy lol
dont forget you will usually need a heat gun to shrink the tint to the curves of the window.

IMO, just take it to get it done, usually less than 150 and you wont have to worry about it.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:33 PM
aureatenova

I'm planning on getting my windows done, but I was wondering...what do they do on the rear winshield? I would think that they would mess up the tint or the tint would mess up the defroster strips since the tint is put on the inside of the window.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:25 AM
alpine25
Veteran

They just put it over the defroster lines, youll never have any trouble.

Quick Reply: window tinting