Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

2004 no crank when hot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 02:40 PM
richny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 no crank when hot?

Hi all, tried to search other problems like mine but am coming up empty and frustrated. I recently purchased a 2004 sxt with 230,000 miles. Runs excellent ,but just developed a problem the last few times running it.
It starts and runs perfect with no engine light on, but it seems as though after warming up, whenever I shut it off (at a store or to get gas) it won't start. It just won't crank, turn the key and nothing. Has power to everything else and once it sits and cools a while it'll crank and start right up. Only does it when warmed up.
During the no crank time, I used a test light and checked for power at the brown wire on the starter solenoid and have nothing. There is constant power under the relay on pin 25, and nothing on 24 when turn the key to crank. Usually, by this time, it has cooled enough to go ahead and crank over and start. Have tried switching the relays as well. Is there something else that when gets hot won't allow it to crank? Thanks for any possible advice!

Old 06-15-2014, 09:10 PM
schulz8

I would LOVE to hear the answer to this. I have the exact same problem with my 2004 Neon as well. I had it at a reputable auto repair shop last week for 3 days and they couldn't find the root cause.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:20 PM
richny

Well,after doing all the checks myself, I suspected a bad pcm. Took it to a dodge dealer and after three hours and $300 later they said the same , a bad pcm (which they could install for $900). Went on e-bay and for about $150, I bought a reconditioned one with a one year guarantee. It's a seller who takes in bad pcm's and rebuilds them, Can't remember the name but can get it for you. Installed it and guess what? Still the same problem! Ended up taking out the starter relay and putting a jumper wire between the two terminals and has been starting and running fine ever since. Yes, I did try replacing the relay and still nothing. Even replaced the ignition switch and nothing as well.
I took out the starter relay and put a jumper wire in on the two slots on the LEFT side top and bottom when looking at it from the drivers side fender.
If you try it, let me know how it works.

Quick Reply: 2004 no crank when hot?