Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Large leak detected in EVAP system

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 05:18 PM
loocsissor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large leak detected in EVAP system

My `01 Neon R/T had the check Engine light, did the self-diagnostic as well as the Auto Zone diagnostic and both gave me the code P455, which is a Large leak detected in EVAP system. Has anyone dealt with this problem before or knows what I should do?

Old 10-21-2005, 01:04 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: Large leak detected in EVAP system

On the sticker that's on the underside of your hood is a diagram of the EVAP/PURGE system. You'll need to trace all of those lines - back to the fuel tank, to the intake manifold, etc. You may also need to pull out the charcoal canister (pretty sure it's under the passenger fender like the 1st gens) and make sure it isn't cracked. Just got this code on my Ram as well...

Best of luck!

Old 10-21-2005, 10:27 PM
RayDog26
All Star

OK yeah that would work if u want to waste 12 hours...... i just had my evap system checked and found out some one put the solenoid hoses on backwards which was throwing my code and causing some idle problems.... that took 3 hours with the proper equipment.. your best and easiest way is to go to some ones shop who has a smoke test machine.. it sends smoke through the whole evap system to find where to leaks are if any.. its hard to find all the hoses and even harder to find which one it broken.. the smallest cracks can throw a code. one line on the top of my engine was cracked and it was so small i didn't even notice when looking at it until the smoke came pouring out.... big shock that was.. so best of luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 10-22-2005, 01:31 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

tighten your gas cap 3 clicks it can cause the evap purge code to be thrown if cap is bad or loose...

Old 11-23-2005, 03:40 AM
tonedef1

i agree with above just make sure to erase the code afterwards.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:47 AM
ewetho
All Star

With a large leak detected the first thing you want to do for the sake of your own money is to just make sure your gas cap is on tight look at it first though. You want to make sure it is still in good shape. If you happened to be larger and like to lean on the nozzel during fill ups some people have been known to ben fill tubes so check there as well. After looking at that area just clear the damn codes and forget about it and drive. If it comes back then you have an issue, if not then you probably did not get you cap tightened properly jsut in a hurry one time what ever. But large leaks when the come into the shop are mostly not leaking. Just a cap problem or older OBDII or OBDI cars if you filled with the car running and it happened to cycle an evap check you would have that issue. Most newer cars will no longer run evap tests while idling for that reason. To many false MIL lights.

You may have an issue but try giving it a quick look over and just reset the darn code and go.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:08 PM
mrmeep

Dear God thank you for this. I've had my light on for a month and a half now (I only drive to the grocery store once weekly) and the f-ing garage told me to pay $75 for a diagnosic check. You are, officially, the man. You will receive your plaque in the mail in 6-8 awesome business weeks.

!

Quick Reply: Large leak detected in EVAP system