Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

MULTI FUNCTION SWITCH TURN HEADLIGHT WIPER Dodge Plymouth Neon 2005

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:09 AM
tired old man
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MULTI FUNCTION SWITCH TURN HEADLIGHT WIPER Dodge Plymouth Neon 2005

My daughter has our 2005 Dodge Neon STX. It has just under 200,000 on the clock so it ain't the greatest buggy in the world. The other day she came by and said her high beam headlights were not working.

I asked if she had checked the fuse. Naturally she said she had so I checked them found the one marked high beam headlight and it was burned so I replaced it with a new one and miraculously the high beams came right on when she clicked the lever.

A few days later she came by and said the low beams had stopped working. I looked all over for a fuse or relay that might be bad but could not find any for the low beam head lights.

She brought along a new set of bulbs so I took the easy to get to one out of the passengers side.

The bulb looked good to me so I went and got the VOM set it to OHMS and tested it and got continuity through it so I put it back in.

I moved all the stuff out of the way on the drivers side and tested that bulb and it was good too.

Since its quite a bit of work to get that bulb out I stuck the new on in and tested it but only the high beam filament lit up. So I installed the new bulb then stuck the other new one in the passengers side and put all the junk back in the car.

I decided that probably the multifunction switch is bad. So, I looked at eBay and found a new one for under $50 but they also have new ones for a bit more that have a fog light switch in them.

I replaced the front bumper cover last summer with one that has holes for fog lights already in it but did not install fog lights because I did not have a switch in the multifunction switch in the car.

what I'm wondering is if get one of the switches with the fog light switch in it will that put fire in the wire somewhere under the car to run a pair of fog lights or is that wire simply not on all Neon STX's?

when I replaced the motor mounts the other day I found an unused plug in the wiring harness near the air conditioning compressor. Could that be the wire for the fog lights?

I tested it with the VOM and it is currently dead but if I get the multifunction switch with a fog light switch could it light some fog lights?

If any one knows I will order the new switch with the fog light switch other wise I'll get the one that does not have it and hope it fixes the low beams.

Thanks for any help on this.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:25 AM
tired old man
Veteran

Well it seems that a lot of folks have looked at my thread even if they did not read it, or maybe just don't have any answers for me.

I have decided to just go ahead and order the new switch with the fog light switch in it and see if I can find a wire with juice in it under the hood somewhere to latch some fog lights to.

If I'm right and the unused plug I found by the air conditioning compressor is for the fog lights I will have made out like a bandit,... I think, also I'm really hoping I can cure the headlights not working with this switch.

I found a ground wire that had been under a screw in the top of the engine near the top motor mount/torque rod {whatever} and drilled a new hole and put a new screw in it but that did not help with the low beams like I had hoped it would.

I thought I might have disturbed a ground wire when I swapped the bumper cover last summer but the lights had worked just fine until the other day but its not that hard to remove the bumper cover so I did that again. I made sure all the wires I found grounded to the fender were nice and clean then put them back where I found them.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:32 AM
tired old man
Veteran

So,... the new light switch came today. I stabbed it in in just under 20 minutes. The low beams still do not light.

The new switch does have the fog light switch in it but the wire I thought might be for the fog lights does not seem to have power running to it. Inside the car at the fuse block I have a 10 amp fuse in the socket marked fog lights which surprised me since the car did not come with fog lights originally.

Anyway I will continue to work on this thing to try and fix the low beam lights. Maybe once I get those going again the wire I suspect to be the fog light wire will have fire in it too.

Last edited by tired old man; 10-09-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:29 PM
tired old man
Veteran

I have been fighting this for a while now with no progress. I did get a friend who owns a 2005 neon just like mine to come over and I tried the old switch from my car in his and the lights work just fine on both high and low beam so the original switch was OK after all.

I took the under the hood fuse box out and looked for obviously corroded connections and found none. I still get all the dash lights, interior lights, brake lights, parking/running lights, turn signals, and high beam lights to light, just not the low beam headlights. Also all the gauges seem to be working just fine.

I did notice that the high beam indicator light no longer works. I don't remember if it had been working when I started messing with this. I now wonder if I pull the dash out and check or replace that bulb if the low beams would work again.

Seems like a long shot and a silly thing to have for a problem but I will try it next.

Last edited by tired old man; 10-09-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:11 AM
tired old man
Veteran

Well alrighty now,.... after months of pondering this and a fair amount of time working on things that did not need to be worked on replacing parts that did not need to be replaced I have finally fixed the headlights on the Neon.

In the top of the fuse box inside the door is a little aluminum circuit breaker. I did not know it had anything in particular to do with the headlights but after pulling the instrument cluster out to look for any burned wires I decided to check it with my VOM.

There was no continuity in the thing. I whacked it around a little then tested it again and it had continuity through it.

The headlights work fine now. You would think something else would not have work if it was open but everything else in the car was working just fine. Tomorrow I will get a new circuit breaker and hopefully the headlights will work for another 11 or so years.

Quick Reply: MULTI FUNCTION SWITCH TURN HEADLIGHT WIPER Dodge Plymouth Neon 2005