Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 09:42 PM
rickoh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loss of power

When my 95 neon (2 litre) warms up....say...after a 15 minute drive....I lose all power...as if Im running out of gas.
The engine lite comes on....and I cant keep it running. If I park it for half an hour....everything is ok again until it gets
warm again.
Any suggestions?. Nothing has been checked....(fuel pump..fuel filter....etc...)
I just havnt had time to take it in...so any suggestions will help

Old 10-26-2005, 12:00 AM
rickoh
Default RE: loss of power

I just found the url for codes...and I get a cel code of 12 and 55...............I know what 55 is....but whatdoes the code 12 mean??.."Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles"

Old 10-26-2005, 07:55 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

The 12 is no big deal typically. Pretty standard codes for most cars with no problems... If your CEL is coming on, you need to check codes while it is still on. If it clears on its own (sounds like it), the code will only show up with an OBD-2 scanner, and only if it was stored in the PCM's memory (not all are).

There are so many things that could cause stalling and loss of power... The reason for the CEL would be a huge help. In the meantime, make sure your routine maintenance is up-to-date. You have an big external fuel filter forward of the passenger rear tire under a metal cover that is supposed to be changed every 30,000 miles. Decent copper plugs and fresh stock wires wouldn't hurt. From there, you'd just be throwing money at parts until you get those codes. You might be able to get Autozone to pull the codes for free, but no guarantee that their scanner will pick it up withou the CEL being on... and don't let them tell you your car isn't OBD-2, because it is...

Best of luck!

Old 11-04-2005, 11:08 PM
enginechauffer

I would start simple. I have a '96 SOHC and had a bad bad stalling problem. The day I bought it, it stalled 4 times on the way home (but not during the test drive...go figure). I changed the Fuel filter and the code cleared. Afterwards, I also changed the air filter, PCV and new plugs. It runs much better now. I reset the trip odo. and today, it stalled again after 160mi. since I thought I solved the problem completely.

Mine does the same exact thing yours does, it runs fine in city driving (stop and go for short distances) but after the car warms up during an extended drive, it will then die when I am coming to a stop and the engine is coming back down to an idle. If I let it sit for 3-5 mins. it starts right back up, no problem, but then I can only go a short distance before it does it again.

It threw codes 12 and 43. The second one, 43 is something about mulitple cylinder misfiring, not reaching max. dwell time. I still have NO IDEA what dwell time has to do with. I have heard it has to do with cams or something maybe?

I just found out that an old highschool buddy owns his own shop, so I am going to take it to him soon to do the rear main seal leak I have and have him pull the codes and see if we can see what is wrong. If you find anything out, post back so I can narrow it down. I will do the same for you, but it may be a couple of weeks before I get it to the shop.

Quick Reply: loss of power