Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

95 neon needs some speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:11 PM
93 tona
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 neon needs some speed

I have just bought this 95 neon 4 door for a family car, we just had a daughter and wel, its time u know. but it needsspeed. its got like 150,000, and I am not sure whats what I am a daytona man so this is al new to me. It says 2.0 16 valve, not sure sohc or dohc, but at 100mph it purred. The back speakers dont work, can't figure that out, but are there any good bolt ons out there for it? I found the ground affects and fenders, so the body is set, but I need under the hood

Old 11-07-2005, 08:17 PM
lblackneon
Champion
Default RE: 95 neon needs some speed

An aftermarket intake, cat-back exhaust, underdrive pulley, and a header would be a good start. Later u can get an upgraded PCM, upgraded cam etc. It's all your preference in what u want to do and how far u want to go. @ 150,000 miles if u need new spark plug wires, get the MSD wires. If your core is bad go with the MSD one.
Find out if u have a SOHC or DOHC. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:30 AM
gutted
Veteran

Definitely look into an intake, underdrive pulley and a muffler. A catback exhaust is not necessary until you are putting out some serious power (over 200 whp).

You may as well do a tune up too, since you don't know how old the plugs, wires, etc are.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:20 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

At 150k miles, the first thing I'd want to know is if the timing belt and water pump had been done recently. The second thing I'd want to know is if the head gasket had been updated to the MLS style (probably has by now...)...

Telling SOHC from DOHC should be pretty easy. On the passenger side of the engine, there's a black plastic cover that runs from top to bottom covering the timing belt and cam gear(s). If it is round on top, there's only one gear in there and it's a SOHC. If it's flat on top, there's two gears in there and it's a DOHC. The DOHC intake manifold is a 2-piece deal where the plenum (bottom part where the TB mounts) disconnects from the runners (part that bolts to the head). And if you've got the original muffler on there, the SOHC only has one outlet, where the DOHC has 2 outlets side-by-side. Easier still... the VIN... if the 8th digit is a "C", it's a SOHC, "Y" it's a DOHC.

When you say "Daytona", do you mean the 2.2/2.5L I4, or the 3.0L V6? The Neon's 2.0L (and the Caravan/Startus 2.4L) is based on the 2.2/2.5L engine. The same bore centers and oil/water passages were used to save on startup costs. The heads were redesigned to a 4-valve, pent-roof setup (same heads used on the 2.0L DOHC and 2.4L). The 2.0L deck is shorter. But the basics are pretty much the same. Guys have swapped the Neon's DOHC head onto 2.2/2.5L blocks just fine. If that's what you're used to, you won't be in totally foreign territory. If you had the Mitsubishi V6, well...

There are bolt-on's aplenty if you know where to look. www.modernperformance.com and www.howellautomotive.com are a great place to start, or at least get some ideas. But there are dozens of vendors out there that cater to Neons, and a good number of DIY guys that occasionally make a really nice batch of headers or something, or those odd parts you won't find at the big guys, or jsut plain better parts for a lot less money (sticker not included).

Best of luck!

Old 11-14-2005, 01:55 PM
got boost?
Professional

Your car sounds surprisingly like the '95 we're rebuilding... best of luck to you!

Quick Reply: 95 neon needs some speed