Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Dead neon after 8mi of driving no power but cranks

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 12:55 AM
tonedef1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead neon after 8mi of driving no power but cranks

I have a 95 SOHC neon and it just died on me after 8 miles of driving. the motor has 73k on it and it seemed to be in good condition. it overheated twice on a 4mi drive i got it to the shop i work in and changed the thermostat. let it run for a while it didnt over heat. driving it back it just died the starter cranks but i have no lights no horn no spark nothing.... I pulled a code p0743 while at the shop and it said the code was a torque converter circut open and said the car was still driveable. i changed the battery. but i was wondering what i should change next. i was thinking the crankshaft sensor but would that kill the power to the lights and horn? it doesnt make much sense what happened? any help would be appreicated

Old 11-23-2005, 06:42 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: Dead neon after 8mi of driving no power but cranks

Power to the lights goes from the battery, into the PDC (fuse/relay box under the hood), and out to the lights. Same with the horn. The lightswitch and horn button are just for the relays that are in the PDC. I'd start by making sure you are getting power into the PDC. Just pull the headlamp fuse (or fuel pump fuse, or rad fan fuse), and check for power on one side (don't remember which side, some are different...). If power isn't there, check the cable running from the battery into the PDC. Make sure the fuse is good. All the relays in there are swappable, so you can swap with a known good relay to test if you aren't sure how to check the relay for continuity and all (I don't, that's why I keep a FSM in the car... ).

From there, I'd start looking for loose/broken ground wires. Those can cause some funky things electrically... a little tougher to track down.

Hope this gets you started. Best of luck!

Old 11-23-2005, 10:53 PM
tonedef1
Default RE: Dead neon after 8mi of driving no power but cranks

it was just an ground wire from chassis to engine IE the no spark or lights i was to worried about major things and overlooked the obvious

Quick Reply: Dead neon after 8mi of driving no power but cranks