Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Sunroof leaking and can't be opened

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Neon92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sunroof leaking and can't be opened

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker to these forums for quite a while but only just made an account. I have a 2002 Dodge Neon and I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me. It has a sunroof that the drain tubes are backed up and leaking (I assume from what I've read). This has caused the rain to back up and drip right into my face when I drive. The problem is that the sunroof has been siliconed shut and does not have a working motor. So even if I were to get the silicone off, I wouldn't be able to open the sunroof to access the drain tubes.

Does anyone out there have any advice? Money is very tight and I know I can't afford to replace the sunroof or motor at this time. The leak has gotten so bad that if it rains at all, I can't drive the car without a literal face full of water. Right now I do the best I can with stuffing a hand towel in the sunroof shade and praying it doesn't gush on my face. However, as of late, this hasn't been working as too much water is starting to pour from the corner of the sunroof.

Any ideas and thoughts are welcome. I know it was stupid for the sunroof to be sealed in such a way, but at the time I didn't know that and my mechanic had suggested it. I figured he knew what was wrong so I went along with it.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:59 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Get a couple tubes of RTV and seal the heck out of it from the outside. Sounds like whoever siliconed it up did a lousy job if it’s still leaking.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:01 PM
Neon92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Get a couple tubes of RTV and seal the heck out of it from the outside. Sounds like whoever siliconed it up did a lousy job if it’s still leaking.
I will certainly look into that, and thanks for responding. I think it's because the drain tubes are backed up though, which is causing the rain water to back and come inside the car. Unfortunately, they can only be cleaned out by opening the sun roof.

Quick Reply: Sunroof leaking and can't be opened