Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Question with Wheels. how do the numbers work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 01:24 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question with Wheels. how do the numbers work?

Well im a newb with tires. I got p185/60r/15 on my neon. The rims are from a 2nd gen neon i believe, it actually i think looks half decent on the first gen too.

Anyways, what is a wider tire i could slip onto that rim. LIke what would the "number sequence" look like. Sorry for the neanderthal terms haha. (Ie. p195/65r/15.) i know 15 means rim size as in 15 inchs, but the rest boggles my mind. radar? lol

thanks, sean

Old 12-16-2005, 02:55 AM
gutted
Veteran
Default RE: Question with Wheels. how do the numbers work?

185/60/15 means...

185 = 185mm wide
60 = "aspect ratio" or height, which in this case is 60% of 185 or 111mm tall
15 = fits on 15 inch wheels

Old 12-18-2005, 03:29 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: Question with Wheels. how do the numbers work?

If they are stock 15" alloys from a 2nd gen, then the wheels are 15x6".

The tires you have on there now I'm assuming are from the 2nd gen as well. Yeah, they take up a little more of the "dreaded wheel gap" (not even 1/2" taller overall), and they are only throwing off the speedo by about 1% or so.

How "wide" of a tire goes on there depends on the manufacturer of the tire and how comfortable you are straying from the design width... For most, a 195 width is going to be specifically designed to fit on a 6" wide rim. The Kumho ECSTA Supra 712's would be a great example of a summer tire for your car, specifically the 195/55R15 to keep the stock tire diameter for a 1st gen, same size Dunlop SP Sport would be another graet choice, and both are relatively affordable. If you wanted to go a little wider than that, the 205/50R15 BFG g-Force T/A Sport is designed for a 6.5" wide wheel, but the manufacturer is OK with anything from 5.5-8". That particular wheel would stand a tad shorter than a 1st gen wheel, but not enough to really matter. You could also get the 205/55R15 Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position, or the same size BFG g-Force Sport, BFG g-Force KDW, or the Dunlop SP Sport - all of which are fantastic summer tires. On stock wheels (40mm offset) you'd be very close to rubbing on the rear trailing arms though, so a pair of 3mm (MAX! NO BIGGER) generic wheel spacers should be considered (Only if they actually rub though), and they'll be a little taller overall than the ones you have on there right now (about 1/2" over 1st gen stock).

If you really must have all-seasons, the 205/50R15 Kumho ECSTA ASX looks good and is still fairly cheap. But why bother? If you're going wider for performance, then stick with a tire that will be worth it, in my opinion. No 1/2" difference in width (that's all you get going from 185-195mm) is going to make up for a 300+ difference in traction rating...

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Question with Wheels. how do the numbers work?