Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Need Help changed Tran fluid & filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 01:50 PM
ala650le
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help changed Tran fluid & filter

Hello Everyone I have a little problem. I Just changed my tran fluid and filter used Mopar filter and Mopar ATF + 4 fluid, Now when I start to slow down the Tran down shifts. It only does it around 1200rpm 25 mph. Is there any thing I can do or do I need to take it to the dealer. O it has 50600 miles on it. Most all the driving is 49 miles to work one way with only 3 red lights

Thanks

Old 12-30-2005, 02:39 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Need Help changed Tran fluid & filter

Kind of odd, but if the trans was fine before you changed the fluid, I would say flush the trans, maybe you have some dirt hanging up somwhere.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:43 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't seem to see what exactly your Neons' problem is. I have never had a modern car with an automatic, the only one is my Roadrunner and I believe that it drops gears as I slow down, but it's got a street/strip valve body. I have driven many new autos, but I just never pay any attention as most of them are brand new.

Old 12-31-2005, 10:57 PM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: 71RoadRunner

I don't seem to see what exactly your Neons' problem is. I have never had a modern car with an automatic, the only one is my Roadrunner and I believe that it drops gears as I slow down, but it's got a street/strip valve body. I have driven many new autos, but I just never pay any attention as most of them are brand new.
Its been a while since I had a newer auto as well, but I don't ever remember an auto that would actually downshift as I was braking.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:24 PM
ala650le

Relearn the computer ?

This Quote is from thump186 Thanks

What it does is put the computer back into a learn mode and teches it the shift point over again. It doesn't really reprogram the computer. I took mine to a tranny shop that free dianostic they were more then happy to do the procedure. what it does is have you do several strat having the tranny shift through the gears so the computer can relearn the shift points.
I will take it to the dodge dealership Tues. if possible see what they can do. I have changed many tran fluid and filter on Mopars for years and never had this problem. So what I learn is the computer forgot how to down shift I guess. Tran works perfect except for that down shift.

Thanks everyone.

I will post what I find out.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:56 AM
casper
Legend

I would not think that the computer need to be reset, all you did was a fluid and filter change. I have had cars that you had to reset so the check engine would not come on for an oil change, but thats it. In any case disconnect the negative battery terminal for 15-30 minutes and that will reset the PCM (AKA computer). I don't think thats it though, I would go more for stired up dirt or debris.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:21 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I mentioned, my Roadrunner has a shift kit in it and I think it does downshift itself when left in drive, but it's been awhile since I've driven it or any other automatics. I will often times do the shifing in it myself as well.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:09 PM
BOGUS

The tranny should downshift when coming to a stop. Normally you wont feel it though untill your almost to a stop. If you take it into a dealership they will most likely do a "quick learn" on the tranny and it will relearn all the "CVI" (clutch volume index's) and this will smooth out the shifts up and down.

BoGus

Quick Reply: Need Help changed Tran fluid & filter