Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Gauge Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 02:13 AM
lblackneon
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Installation

I'm thinking about installing 2 Mopar Gauges b/c they would come in handy. I'm thinking about installing a 100 PSI Oil Pressure Gauges and a Voltmeter. Is it hard?

Old 01-05-2006, 04:08 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: Gauge Installation

For the oil pressure, you're going to have to remove your stock sender and either install a tee fitting (royal PITA) or use an adapter to put the new one in. I don't recall the sizes offhand, but the threads on the stock sender (and hole) are a different size (bigger) than the aftermarket ones. I tried to get a tee in there with the engine still in the car, gave up after a couple of hours and some rather harsh words at the car... If you just replace the stock sender with the aftermarket on, you'll never get a low oil pressure light... ever... If you have or want a remote start, that could be a problem (I use the CEL...), and you really, really have to pay close attention to the pressure. 0-100 psi is a bit much, don't know if there's a smaller range available. Typical oil pressures run under 20 psi cold, and 15 or less when warm.

I'd go with a coolant temp guage before going with a voltmeter. That one can get installed several places, best probably being one of the drains in the block (have to remove one of the plugs), or by splicing a fitting into one of the hose lines.

Best of luck!

Old 01-05-2006, 05:03 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

I would agree that trying to tee it and have the stock sender and aftermarket sender in there would be a PITA. I just took my stock sender out. I can't remember if the check engine light comes on or not. The oil dummy light comes on. I just took my guage cluster out and pulled the bulb for the oil light so I didn't have to see that annoying light on all the time. As for the adapter I just took the stock sender and the aftermarket sender into Napa and told them I needed to go from the stock sender size to the aftermarket sender size and they got me one for like 2 bucks that worked just fine.

Radar....are you sure about those oil pressures? My guage usually reads somewhere between 25-80psi. Isn't the dummy light set to go off when pressure hits like 10psi? I don't know how operating psi could 15 or lower. Maybe we're just using different weight oils. From what I've observed from other neon folks the range I said is pretty typical. I use 5w-30 mobil 1 synthetic.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:17 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Dummy light comes on at 4 psi. With the stock sender gone, the oil light should never come on. Don't know if the 2nd gens are different that way... 1st gens go directly to the instrument cluster, so the PCM wouldn't set a CEL either way. Again, 2nd gens... dunno

I'm not the only one who has the oil pressures I get either. I don't see how that could be a difference in generations though since it's the same engine. Could be that I live in the desert, but it does get down in the teens here at night sometimes... Even when I was up in CT, I don't think I ever saw pressures above 40 or so. I use Mobil1 5W-30 as well, have since the 12k mile point...

My gauges (and a lot more) got stolen a few months back. Once I get a new set in, we'll see how it compares. The ones in there before were a cheapo brand off ebay. I'm trying to save up for a complete set and get rid of my instrument cluster altogether though, since it's currently tie-wrapped above the steering column

Quick Reply: Gauge Installation