Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Neon Convertible ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Hollywood2669
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon Convertible ????

I have a 1995 neon and I was wondering if I can turn it into a convertible. Also would I be the first person to do this or has it been done before ? if it has are there does anyone have pictures of how it turned out ? Also are there any cars that the complete top mechanics would fit on my car so that I wouldn't have to have everything custom fabricated ? Any help on this would be great. If that is not possible. is there anywhere that sells custom sized T-Tops for cars, because I had thought about going that route also.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:34 PM
red91RT
Veteran
Default RE: Neon Convertible ????

I'll answer initially because I've considered doing something like this.

As far as I've seen I have never met/seen anyone online or in the real world that has mad a convertable. I think the major reason is you'd really need to reframe the car a bit--it's got so little framing and so much unit-body that cutting the top off would really effect stability of the body. It's sort of like some motorcycles I used to be interested in in the late 80's--they were all excited because they were saving so much weight by using the motor as a significant portion of the frame of the bike.

Having said that, you certainly could do it. I think it would be a lot of customization. I doubt you could get anything off the shelf to fit, but if you could get a lengthy amount of time to access a few convertibles and take a lot of measurements you might surprise yourself--for instance, do you have any friends at a Chrysler or VW dealer? See if they'll let you measure all the lengths and pieces to their convertible bugs and PT cruisers. Try the Old Mustangs and Sundance/Shadows. All these cars are close enough in dimensions that you might be able to buy a stock replacement at reasonable prices and then reshape a little to fit the neon. Especially the mustangs.

HOWEVER: Here's what I would do: The first gen is perfect for T-Tops because there's no window frame. Cut the exact shape you want out of each side and then clean up the metal both on the roof and in the cut out and then affix some weatherstrips to both. Put on a couple jeep type hood clamps un the underside and Voila--instant T-Top. (Sorta). You could also use the cut out as a template to make some plexiglass pieces--melt them in the oven a little and you might even be able to shape them to the right curve to match the roof line. I think this would be a LOT easier than a convertible but would still get you some looks at car shows. Also, you could do it--not worry about framing and see what happens. If it doesn't work, you can have a rollcage crafted for probably $300 to $500 at the right shop that would come up the A-pillars, go across windshield top and meet at the center of the roof. One pipe follow back through the center where the T-Top center post is and then fan out again at the B pillar. This could tie your front and rear together for stability yet potentially be a lot cheaper (and easier?) than putting in some new framing above/below the floor pan to deal with absolutely no roof at all.

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Hollywood2669

but I'd like to have the glass style T-Tops is there anywhere I can get those

Old 04-29-2004, 04:06 PM
red91RT
Veteran

Probably best you're gonna be able to do is find some auto glass somewhere in a yard that fairly closely matchs the shape of the Neon roof--you should be able to come pretty close because it's a fairly flat roof--look at older GM F-bodies as well as the newer ones)

Then you'd have a glass shop cut the glass to the exact size/shape you want. That's what a lot of rodders do when building a street rod from a kit. In fact one '20's roadster kit I've seen multiple times at the GoodGuys shows uses a Datsun 2000(?) Roadster window cut down around the corners and bottom a little to slop back a little more.

You can do the cutting, but the shaping/glass is something you should probably get to be buddies with an autobody shop for--one that can do custom work.

Quick Reply: Neon Convertible ????