Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

cams and valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 01:14 PM
darknigh7th
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cams and valve springs

I want to put in a crane camshaft, and according to the website i will need new lifters, and possibly valve springs. I was just wondering how hard that all is, if anyone can help me of course

Old 02-04-2006, 02:23 AM
BOGUS
Default RE: cams and valve springs

You will have to pull the front of the engine apart where the timing belt is. Then take the valve cover off. Once thats off take the camshaft, rocker arms, and lifters out. If you have an air compressor and a valve spring compressor(on car type) you can put a fitting in where the spark plug goes and just put compressed air into the cylinder and then change the valve springs one at a time on each cylinder. This way you dont have to remove the head. If you screw up and some how drop a valve you will have to pull the head off though.

If your head gasket is leaking just pull the head and fix that too.

BoGus

Old 02-04-2006, 02:40 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

Well whenever you do cams, you need to do the timing. On my SRT, we dont have rocker arms, we have lobes that act as rocker arms. So heres how I would have to do it

1. Unbolt the Coilpack
2. Pop the plug wires out
3. Unplug and remove coilpack and wires
4. Remove the head (removing the PCV valve and the hose on the crank side)
5. Take off the cam gear housing, cam gears, and "belt"
6. Now your cams SHOULD have cam caps (the little things with two bolts on either side that hold the cam down) DO NOT MESS UP THE ORDER OF THEM, they HAVE to stay in place. Take those guys off, pop in the new cam(s), bolt it all up.

Now dealers have a special tool that JUST removes lifters, (lash adjusters in my car). Probably wicked expensive and not worth your time though, so Id do those while you have the cams out. Im assuming your neon doesnt have pushrods, because mine doesnt. But valvesprings and lifters are a delicate procedure, as is the timing. Be careful....Id pay someone to do it if I were you, messing with timing if you arent familiar with it can be a PIA. And you dont want to risk screwing up valvesprings and such.

Good luck either way

Old 02-04-2006, 03:14 AM
lblackneon
Champion

Exactly; the mechanic that's going to install my Crane cam and valve springs told me that it's way easier to use an air compressor with the installation. I have no clue how that works. I got the cam and valve springs a few days ago and I'm going to wait a few weeks until he gets back from out of town to do the installation.

Quick Reply: cams and valve springs