Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

2000 Neon ES dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 06:05 PM
captnmix76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Neon ES dead

I bought my Neon in April of '05. It started leaking oil in March of '06, and I fixed the head gasket in November '06. On February 18, I started it up and it sounded fine. I backed out of the driveway, no problem, and when I put it in drive trans fluid started leaking ( I did not notice this untill my return home.) I went 1 block and stopped, thats when I started experiencing shifting problems (the car is an automatic.) The car would not get out of first gear and kept revving up to get there but couldn't. I went home and saw my trail of trasmission fluid. I parked it on the street and watched the rest of the trans fluid leak out. The only thing that got me is that it was coming out right behind the license plate. I know it is trans fluid because it was red, and the radiator fluid is green.

Why would it be coming out from that point of the car and not under the cab? Could there be something else somewhere else murdering my car from the underneath? I know it's dead at this point, but I just want to understand why its dying the way it is.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:28 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2000 Neon ES dead

From the licence plate? Probably tranny fluid is running down your wiring for you plate display light. That really sucks bro. The Neons a good car, dont give up on them because you baught a lemon. Im shure if you buy another one youll love it.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:59 PM
whyte69
Veteran

You started having problems in March of '06? I think you mean '05.

Did you trace the trail of trans fluid to see where it's leaking from? Have you checked all your hoses? I've had my '00 Neon for approximately 8 months and I absolutely love it. I had a '97 Neon before that and I would probably still have it to this day except that it was written off after it was stolen and destroyed.

Now, I could be wrong, maybe there is something seriously wrong with the car, but when it comes to cars there are no problems, only solutions. A car will only take you as far as long as you're willing to put some work into it. If you're willing to stick with it and get a little dirty, there are many people on these boards who can help you with almost any problem you could throw at them. Welcome to the boards, I hope you decide to stick with the Neon.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:12 PM
captnmix76

whyte69 - I meant March '06. Things don't have to leak right away. I had the car starting in April '05. How can it start leaking and I know about it BEFORE I own it?

I traced all the hoses I could and theres no busts or leaks. I havent had time to get it up on a lift yet.

I'm glad you love your '00 neon, but have you had the same problem? Thats what I'd like to know, and why it happened to a relatively young car.

Highline95jl - Thanks for the reply, I figured out it was a lemon when I had to put $800 in brake work in July '05.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:38 PM
whyte69
Veteran

it's February '06 right now, we haven't hit march yet. I think you're a little ahead of the rest of us...

Old 02-20-2006, 08:21 PM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: captnmix76

whyte69 - I meant March '06. Things don't have to leak right away. I had the car starting in April '05. How can it start leaking and I know about it BEFORE I own it?

I traced all the hoses I could and theres no busts or leaks. I havent had time to get it up on a lift yet.

I'm glad you love your '00 neon, but have you had the same problem? Thats what I'd like to know, and why it happened to a relatively young car.

Highline95jl - Thanks for the reply, I figured out it was a lemon when I had to put $800 in brake work in July '05.
Its is February 06 now, March is next month!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have trans fluid comming from the license plate you have a serious problem. There is no possible way that I can think of that you would have trans fluid dripping all the way back there unless you have a quart leaking in the trunk. From what you have described, you need to have the trans serviced.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:12 PM
captnmix76

It's leaking from behind the front license plate.

Quick Reply: 2000 Neon ES dead