Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

New Neon Owner (Advice Please!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006 | 05:08 PM
fraggle_a
|
Professional
Default New Neon Owner (Advice Please!)

Hello folkes.

I just got myself an 02 Neon.
($6400 for it and only 42k on the clock)

I just read about the Platinum plugs... after buying some, so Im off to return them after work. LOL

Any other good maintenance tips?.

How about oils?.
What kinda oils does this thing like?. Hows about running a Synth oil like Mobil One?

Air intake?.
Can I replace the stock filter with an AM filter and run with the cover off the vacume box for more airflow or will that upset the sencors?.

Is there a better way of routing the breather pipe, or would a breather filter be a better solution?.

What about the PCV?. Seems like a long hose from there to the vacume box?.

Tips folkes.
Id really love to hear your input.

- Fraggle.

Old 08-02-2006 | 08:50 PM
das2123
Legend
Default RE: New Neon Owner (Advice Please!)

My knowledge is more with the 1st gen neons but I do know some about the 2nd gen, so here goes:

Oil
You can run synthetic oils with no problems. Just make sure you get a "true" synthetic such as Mobil1, Redline, Pennzoil Platinum, or Amsoil. Oh, and don't be fooled by the "myth" that synthetics cause oil leaks. A synthetic oil, which is a PAO oil, can cause your seals to shrink some, so if you have any oil leaks now, they will get worse...just a thought. If you don't have any leaks, then you will be fine.

Intake
You can run it without the box to get some more air, but keep in mind your filter will get dirtier quicker.

Breather filter and PCV questions, I don't know.

Here is a place that offer aftermarket stuff if you are interested in modding it at all:
http://www.modernperformance.com/

Old 08-02-2006 | 11:22 PM
fraggle_a
|
Professional

Heres a quick question Iv always pondered.

You run Synth oil in your car... Can you still add chemicals to seal leaks and help your seals stay strong?
Or would they mix Badly with a synth oil and cause issues??

What Im planning is a simple air-ram kinda thing. A second tube behind the grill with an inlet to the box, so as the vehicle moves forwards air is pushed into the pipe and forced through the filter.
Im still working on the idea and looking at the space avalible under the hood.

Old 08-02-2006 | 11:53 PM
das2123
Legend

Synthetic oils are pretty compatible with most other oils, but I'm not sure about "additives" and whatnot. I don't think it would hurt the engine any though.

Quick Reply: New Neon Owner (Advice Please!)