Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:20 AM
scotto58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission help

Hi,

Need some help figuring out a trany problem on my wife's Neon. It' a 1998 Sport with the DOHC engine/Auto Trans. The other day it started slipping when it upshifted to Drive, now we have to put the shifter in 2nd to start movng then slide it up into Drive. Checked the fluid level and it was good. Could it just need a fluid/filter change or am I looking at some serious expense.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Scott

Old 08-13-2006, 01:32 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission help

Start with a fluid and filter change and adjust the kickdown band.

Also try posting in the 1st gen forum. You will get more help over there...
https://dodgeforum.com/forumid_121/tt.htm

Old 08-14-2006, 04:02 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks back, I would push in the gas and it felt like my car was going faster then it should in drive, then it would shift back into place, I first noticed it after hitting WOT on the highway, it happend enough to cuase concern so I did some investigating and found out that over time your auto shifter ( located directly under your battery) sometimes gets stuck and prevents the gears to shift correctly. to solve my problem I removed the battery and tray and lubed up the auto shifter with pb blaster, I did this everyday for about a week ( would have worked way better if I just had took it off to soak it ) and I haven't had any probs with it since. if you choose to go that route first then you should notice a difference in a day or two or maybe less the tranny service das suggested is a good idea as well but lubing up the shifter doesn't require as much work and can be done faster. after lubing mine up I still had the filter changed and tranny fluid changed as well. good luck and hope some of that was helpfull.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:33 AM
scotto58

das,FuzzRacer

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the cable lube 1st and then get the fluid/filter changed.

das-I'll post in the 1st Gen forum as well

Quick Reply: Transmission help