Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

thinking of buying

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 06:11 PM
neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of buying

Hi,</P>

I want to get a new (used actually since I can't afford a new car) car and was thinking of the Dodge Neon. I was hoping to get a 2000. Can anyone tell me what things I should be aware of, or look for when checking out the car? What known pitfalls do the Neons have? (ie., I had an '87 VW at one point and they were known to have heater core problems). </P>

How many years will I get out of my Neon if I get a 2000? Any advice would be appreciated! A friend wants to sell me her Jetta, but the price is too high... can anyone tell me why a Jetta costs so much more than a Neon? </P>

Thanks!</P>

</P>

</P>

Old 04-20-2003, 10:50 PM
Shogunn
Default thinking of buying

Well Im not too keen on the problems/defects of Dodge as I dont own one nor do I follow themso I cant really comment on that part of your post. However, I do believe that as with most cars with proper tuneups and maintenance you will get high mileage from your Neon, I have a friend that has a Neon and hehas taken very good care of it and hes pushing the 197,000 mile mark.As for the second partI think that European cars in general are more expensive and thats due to the parts being expensive and having them brought here and anyone will tell you that you must tip your hat to German engineering because it is one to be reckoned with so given that you pretty much know why they are more expensive.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:18 AM
KhanArtisT
Default RE: thinking of buying

my 2k neon has 62k miles on it n i havent had any problems with it so far, but just make sure that if the mileage is over 60k, the timing belt was changed since otherwise u will get bad gas mileage; by the way this is a page for the known problems and information about the neon SOHC engine(the non r/t)
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/2.html
n look here for the ups n downs n information about the 2k neon
http://applications.edmunds.com/revi...0/page002.html

Old 07-27-2004, 02:14 AM
KlerricK
Professional

ORIGINAL: Shogunn

Well Im not too keen on the problems/defects of Dodge as I dont own one nor do I follow them so I cant really comment on that part of your post. However, I do believe that as with most cars with proper tuneups and maintenance you will get high mileage from your Neon, I have a friend that has a Neon and he has taken very good care of it and hes pushing the 197,000 mile mark. As for the second part I think that European cars in general are more expensive and thats due to the parts being expensive and having them brought here and anyone will tell you that you must tip your hat to German engineering because it is one to be reckoned with so given that you pretty much know why they are more expensive.
Actually in a magazine I read a few months back, the German cars have lost some of their high dues. Domestics are getting better and better. German cars are slipping somewhat in quality and reliability. This article based their reviews on the new BMWs/VWs/Audis. Go Dodge.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:40 PM
moparfreak4life

I have a Neon and there is no problems I have found at all, they get good gasmileage, theyre comfortable, theyre fast and quick and can eb made better, there really is no downside to neons. I say go for it.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:30 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

If the car is coming up on the 100k mile point, it will need to have the timing belt and water pump replaced. Both of those are recommended by the manufacturer every 105k miles. You don't want to wait on those... if the timing belt breaks (or water pump bearing fails), you'll probably be replacing 16 valves and quite possibly a piston or two.

If you want better performance, you can go up a year (2001) and look for an ACR or R/T model ("Sport" doesn't cut it...). For even better performance, go back a year (1999) for an R/T or ACR (preferably the coupe)...

Any car you get can be made to last. All it takes is keeping up with maintenance and fixing problems (properly, not just a band-aid...) right away. Over time, things go... My alternator only made it to the 190k mile point or so. The cat went a little over 200k before falling apart. I've been through 2 tie rod ends (both on the right side) and 2 wheel bearings (also on the right side). I've replaced the struts and springs twice, but it would have only been once if I'd done it right the first time... Clutch has been replaced twice, should have been only once, but I didn't do the throwout bearing the first time and it fell apart and ate through the pressure plate... Al little things, in the long run. With over 24k miles on the car now, I have no regrets buying it.

Best of luck!

Old 01-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

Follow those links. The only thing you should really look for, is if they let you sit in it is:

a rough idle
how many miles are on it

aside from that check the maintnence log. If everything seems fine, then i say buy it.

Quick Reply: thinking of buying