Dodge Nitro The Dodge Nitro is a sporty mid size SUV that bound to turn heads where ever it roams. The Dodge Nitro is one fun ride!

Need info on 4.0L for project

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:30 AM
TCPMeta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info on 4.0L for project

I'm new here and im working on a special project. I blew out my motor in my intrepid and i've been doing research on the new 4.0L for the Nitro. The 4.0L is a bored out 3.5L, thats what allpar claims but I need some proof. Anyone willing to do me a huge favor? I need photos of the following.

Engine
Transmission
oil pan
exhaust manifold
engine mounts

Also I need help to comfrim that it will bolt up to a 42LE or a 42RLE transmission. To see my progress on the build heres a LINK

Old 11-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain
Default RE: Need info on 4.0L for project

Seems to be essentially the same, but it's gonna be small details like oil filter, thermostat, intake manifold, oil pan etc. that will hang you. Gonna have to do lots of digging to see if this stuff can be converted to older 3.2/3.5 LH pattern.

That, and I doubt you're gonna find an affordable 4.0 in the near future.

BTW, allpar's claim that the 3.8l is a mroe potent plant than the 4.0l inline 6 is bogus. Those older 4.0's had more low-end grunt than any other Chysler six cylinder, save the Cummins. IDC what the numbers say, the new 3.8l Jeeps get spanked by the older 4.0's. And the 4.0 I6 was one of the most solid, durableengines ever produced. Dropping that engine was a huge mistake on DC's part.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Catholic Damage
Professional
Default RE: Need info on 4.0L for project

the 3.8 may have had more tq, but the 3.8 has more power. and from working at roush, i can say that the 3.8's can handle their fair share of abuse. when i left in early 07, we still had one with well over 120k miles on it and it was running strong. i do miss the 4.0, but i love the 3.8 in the new wrangler. i had two wranglers under my control, and they took every bit of abuse i could throw at them.
we tested in the everglades if that says anything about what i put them through....

as far as your swap is going, look into the tranny they use in the fwd 4.0 pacifica.

Quick Reply: Need info on 4.0L for project