Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

g56 shifting probs

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:00 PM
tedinak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: g56 shifting probs

I just encountered the same problem. I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins with 7300 miles, I drove it about 10 miles, stopped at a stop sign, and it would not go into any gear. I released and depressed the clutch several times, nothing, I shifted the transfer case and tried again, nothing, I managed to get into 4th with a some pressure and grinding, started out and depressed the clutch, would not go into any gear. repeated the same process and traveled the last 100 yrds to the house. I towed a small boat for the last 5 miles. I unhooked the boat, took the truck out of gear and tried to put it back in gear, no problem. Can't duplicate the problem? The only thing I ever noticed unusual about this truck is after it sets for a couple of weeks, and I start it, I sometimes feel a small "kickback" through the clutch pedal( I start it in neutral). Anyone experienced this?

Old 05-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Az2500Cummins08

Mine does not want to come out of reverse when it is cold. Also, sometimes if feels like my transmission has alot of metal floating around in there. It does not shift smooth at all. I didnt think nothing of it because it is a heavy duty transmission, but then I read this. Does yall's transmissions feel the same?

Old 05-26-2008, 06:58 PM
tedinak

This is the first glitch I have experienced with this truck. I have never had a problem with shifting, very smooth in all gears, pulling or without a load, outside temperature range from -40F to 80F. That is what makes this so disturbing, it happened without any warning. I am taking it into the shop(under warranty), I'll report back on the fluid condition and what the service dept. has to say.

Quick Reply: g56 shifting probs