Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Towing with an automatic......

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Shadow Caster
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with an automatic......

Ok this may seem like a stupid question to some of you. This is my first automatic and i am gonna be pulling a heavy load from central Florida back to West Virginia. It is a 22' box trailer. When loaded I will be pulling about 9000 pounds. I just want to know what to do and what not to do to keep from killing my tranny. All input is greatly appreciated. As some of you may or may not know there are some steep long grades in Virginia and West Virginia and this will be the first real good pull for this truck so I am really excited to see how it does compared to my 02'. Thanks guys....

Old 04-07-2007, 09:04 PM
CutterW
Captain
Default RE: Towing with an automatic......

I've always been told just drive. Goin up hills just let it shift and give her hell. I pulled box trailor full of junk and engine ran about 210 and it was about 95 outside and tranny did well on about a 250 mile pull up and down hills. just set cruise on about 70 and when got home just let her set and its still goin. although I do wanna get a tranny and turbo gauge so i can watch em closer

<------That pickup

Old 04-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Its pretty simple Jeff, Ive been towing daily with CTDs for 7 years now with no trouble. Towing a heavy load you can leave it in drive if the tranny is not changing much. When you get into the hills put it in Tow/haul and let er rip. You wont have any trouble as long as its not shifting in and out to much. If you get in slow traffic use the tow/ haul also. Good Luck and be careful.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Watermelon

Its pretty simple Jeff, Ive been towing daily with CTDs for 7 years now with no trouble. Towing a heavy load you can leave it in drive if the tranny is not changing much. When you get into the hills put it in Tow/haul and let er rip. You wont have any trouble as long as its not shifting in and out to much. If you get in slow traffic use the tow/ haul also. Good Luck and be careful.
DITTO
Well said.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Yea you don't need to worry bout overheating the tranny or anything. especially towing only 9k lbs, that's like a grain of salt to the cummins. Now if u decide to run a power programmer and do upgrades then yes tranny temp guages and boost gauges are a must.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9k aint nothing. . .the engine will bairly break a sweat

Old 04-08-2007, 01:01 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Shadow Caster

Ok this may seem like a stupid question to some of you. This is my first automatic and i am gonna be pulling a heavy load from central Florida back to West Virginia. It is a 22' box trailer. When loaded I will be pulling about 9000 pounds. I just want to know what to do and what not to do to keep from killing my tranny. All input is greatly appreciated. As some of you may or may not know there are some steep long grades in Virginia and West Virginia and this will be the first real good pull for this truck so I am really excited to see how it does compared to my 02'. Thanks guys....
Hey Shadow,

I've pulled those hills up I-81 SEVERAL times, like 3 - 4 times a year, on my way back to NY. You ain't gonna have a single problem with 9K on that route. Heck, you'll be passing passenger cars and mini-vans with that load. Even my '04 SD V10 had no issues towing that route.

Quick Reply: Towing with an automatic......