Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Joel_MD
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Blades

This is slightly off the topic of oil-burning Rams, but I'd like to know if anyone agrees with me. It seems to me that wiper blades wear out much faster today than they did twenty years ago. I started driving in Minnesota in 1985, and the harsh climate there would wear out wiper blades in a couple of years. Since then I've lived in Southwest Texas, Southern California, and now Maryland. I've tried different kinds of wiper blades and they all seem to last less than a year before they begin to leave streaks on the windshield. I always clean the glass with Bon Ami cleanser before I change the wiper blades, and I go over the glass with detailing clay every few months to remove gritty debris. You fellas have any thoughts on this serious matter?

Old 04-11-2007, 12:10 PM
cumminalong
Default RE: Wiper Blades

I replaced my blades almost right off the bat. The stock ones sucked! They chattered and didn't clean jack.

I ended up putting the triple edge blades on and they work great. No noise and they seem to work very well.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:18 PM
rbmason
Rookie

Anyone use those Rain-X blades? Are they as good as they're supposed to be? What kind do you use?

Old 04-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I've changed my blades a couple of times now. Last year or so I put some sort of silicone edged poly raz-za-ma-taz blades on there. They, like anyother new blade, worked great for a while, but for the costI would have thought that I would have gotten a little more life out of them. Around Christmas time I put another set on only this timeI went withI think they were Bosch blades. Regular rubber blades, nothing fancy, but more expensive than the cheapies. When I have them set to the slowest delay, just a slight drizzle, they hop a bit, but in rain they seem to work fine.

Who knows ....

Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Ralph78
Professional

ORIGINAL: hildenja

I always clean the glass with Bon Ami cleanser before I change the wiper blades, and I go over the glass with detailing clay every few months to remove gritty debris. You fellas have any thoughts on this serious matter?
The big problem with wiper blades is the exposure to the Sun, UV kills the blades.
I have tried everything, even those new high tech. one piece blades, and I can still only get one season out of them.

I will give your Windshield cleaning method a try, I had not thought of using Bon Ami or similar. I don't have "Detailing Clay", everything I have is in a "Paste", if I use it I wind up with an oily film on the windshield.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:55 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I change my blades 2 x a year. A winter set, and a summer set. I also use a size 2 inches shorter. Keeps them on the window much tighter at higher speeds. I have never gotten a full year out of wipers...lol. I also use the orange rainX washer fluid. LOVE that stuff. I don't even use the wipers on the highway.

Good luck with ALL our rides.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon
I also use the orange rainX washer fluid. LOVE that stuff. I don't even use the wipers on the highway.
I use that stuff too and yeah, it DOES work really well !!

Old 04-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

The big problem with wiper blades is the exposure to the Sun, UV kills the blades.
I have tried everything, even those new high tech. one piece blades, and I can still only get one season out of them.

I will give your Windshield cleaning method a try, I had not thought of using Bon Ami or similar. I don't have "Detailing Clay", everything I have is in a "Paste", if I use it I wind up with an oily film on the windshield.
I'm sure you're right about the UV radiation killing the wiper blades.

If you try the cleanser trick to clean your glass, only use Bon Ami. I learned it from a body shop guy a long time ago. He said other cleansers like Ajax or Comet could actually scratch the glass. Detailing clay is great for getting gritty stuff off your paint or glass. Try it before you wax, and you'll wonder how you got along without it.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:37 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Mine make it about 4 or 5 months before they're toast, course I use them almost everyday. But the ones that came on it from the dealer lasted a year, not sure what they were.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:39 AM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

I can't talk about how long wipper blades lasted twenty years ago - - but blades do suck. I wonder if it is because we all use some type of high speed washer fluid. I use a de-icer in the winter (ok I hate to scrape windows I'm lazy so what) and in the summer I have rain-x in my fluid. So how much does all that stuff we put in the water effect it? My pop's never puts anything in there other than water - - his still last two seasons at least.

Quick Reply: Wiper Blades