Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I want a Dodge!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I want a Dodge!!!

ORIGINAL: rangerman

I am looking for a dodge around $5000, can you even buy one 96-98 for that much? I thought that older was easier to work on? Also, are these diesels 6 cylinders? Because I saw a 96 for $8500 and had a 6 cylinder diesel engine? I know the newer ones do because my grandpa owns one.
yes, they are all 6 cylinders. Ford and Chevy use V8's.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:33 PM
bigmike
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nothing wrong with buying something small to get you through high school, perhaps a jeep or small pickup. You can save a little dough and by the time you are 18, you can get more what you really want. Keep coming to this forum and you will learn so much about your dream truck.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:24 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: rangerman

Also, are these diesels 6 cylinders? Because I saw a 96 for $8500 and had a 6 cylinder diesel engine? I know the newer ones do because my grandpa owns one.
Just like the big rigs that you see on the road.....they are only 6 cylinders as well. 6 VERY LARGE, INLINE, TORQUE MAKING cylinders.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:45 PM
rangerman
Professional

Yeah, they are really big cylinders. I don't think my piece of crap Ford Ranger will be able to tow a boat nor a camper, will it? I don't think so. I need a big truck, not a gasoline truck, but a diesel. I have thought about getting a cheap crappy chevy or another piece of crap Ford but there is no power to them and gas is expensive. That is why I need a Dodge, I might as well go all the way and get something I really want as to a piece of crap that breaks down all the time.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Ben D.
Champion

ranger trust me i'm in the same boat as you. I've driven a jeep all through high school and it's nice but, I want something that is mine from the start and that I can taek care of and not have to look at it everytime I wash it and see all the scratches from the prev owner. With college looming ahead and then med school even with the great package of scholarship/financial aid I don't know if i'll be able to get a new truck. I know what I want I've done research on the diesels already and i'm not very brand loyal I buy what's best. and after much research and already loving dodge styling the cummins just sweetens the deal. Hopefully i'll have my new 2500 before summer but in all honesty i'm content to wait.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 PM
rangerman
Professional

Yes, that is exactly me, but I still have 2 years of high school left, which is nice because I don't have to move out or pay for insurance to buy a new truck. The main reason why I want a Dodge is I own a Ford, big mistake, my dad owns chevys, and I am out to prove a point along with I like the style and power of the cummins as it is a long know name. Why do you like the cummins? What do you plan to do to it? Are you going to get a 4x4? Are you going to lift it? I am probably going to get all-terrain tires and not a lift, it would be dangerous especially with a lift. I might however get stacks...just kidding, but it would be cool. A new exhaust would be in my plan too. But, first I have to get the money and the truck. Thanks

Old 04-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Ben D.
Champion

I'm hopefully gonna get a 2500 TRX4 or SLT 4x4 with Quad cab and short bed. I'm going to go with the six speed manual. I'm not going to get too many options, the aluminum wheels, bigger tires, fog lamps, sliding rear window, blokc heater, floor mats. It'll be a nicely equipped truck but I don't need all the super bells and whistles like heated seats dvd gps and what not. No i don't think i'll lift it i'll go with bigger tres somtime and i'm going to keep the engine pretty close to stock. well why do I like the cummins. Well i already said why in comparison to powerstroke and duramax. One, they are low maintanence and are extrememly reliable. They last forever and I plan to keep this truck forever so that;s a plus. They get great gas mileage in comparison to gassers and have much more power. Plus I love straight six engines. Dunno y i just do and that's what the cummins is. I'll take 16 mpg or better wiht the added power. Plus I think the dodge styling is the best of any pickup out there.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:38 AM
rangerman
Professional

I would have to agree. Do they make 96-98 Dodges with the cheapest option? (Like no ac, no power window, no power locks) I think I would rather have one because it would be way more reliable. What year do you plan on getting? Why do you want a short bed? I would rather have a long bed since I will be towing some, and I plan on getting a 96-98 since someone suggested they were the best years. Also, along with better gas milage you have a hell of a lot of power, look at the torque the 360 makes compared to the diesel, big difference. I just can't wait till I get one, I might even finance one just so I can get one as soon as possible. I am looking at getting one around christmas so about 8 to 10 months. I don't think I will have enough then but I will save like crazy. Thanks

Old 04-13-2007, 02:05 AM
Ben D.
Champion

I'm going to be getting a brand new 07 or a leftover 06. We'll see finding a stick is going to be hard. I want teh qcsb because it is the shortest in overall length by configuration of the 2500's. I don't like trucks to be super long and this thin gwill be babied. Not gonnna do really any towing with it. Doubt to much will go in the bed either.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:07 AM
rangerman
Professional

Oh, I doubt I will have that amount of money in a long time. I hope you get what you want, that makes things a lot of better. Thanks

Quick Reply: I want a Dodge!!!