Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

48RE Transmission Upgrades/ Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Bigriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48RE Transmission Upgrades/ Replacements

I've been wondering about upgrading key components of my tranny or even just replacing the entire transmission. I've talked ATS and their price starts around $5300.00 plus install and taxes. I've seen the web site for Suncoast and BD and their prices are around $3000.00
I first thought of just getting some componets replaced, but by the time I'd pay the labor for disasembly and reasemble the tranny, it seems better to go all out for the real deal.
I suppose the question is I wonder if the ATS is that much better than say BD or Suncoast?
I've been towing my 16000 lb.trailer without any problems but I'd rather take care of the situation at my convienence opposed to the alternative.
I'd appreciate any opinions and thanks,

Walt

Old 04-15-2007, 06:03 PM
cumminalong
Default RE: 48RE Transmission Upgrades/ Replacements

Are you pushing more power?

Do you have gauges installed?

Does the trans seem to be slipping?

Reason I'm asking is that if your tranny temps aren't getting high and you're not slipping, which it probably isn't, then that is a large chunk of coin to throw down on something that shouldn't give you issues.

Granted, I understand the whole take the precautionary step first, but more than likely your trans is just fine if the rest of your driveline is stock and you're not towing with a box turned up.

Just my.02. If you don't have a tranny temp gauge, I'd start there as you may not even be taxing the stock tranny.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:53 PM
triton
Record Breaker

from what I've seen written around the Dodge forums.... Suncoast or Goerends are the best you'll get. ATS seems to have customer service issues which for me, is a big deciding factor.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Bigriver

Cummingalong,
For now everything is still stock, but I plan to add a programmer, gagues and an exhaust brake. We have some trips planned in the Rocky Mountains this summer and I hate to leave things to chance with my wife and kids out on the road with me. I have noticed as best as I can describe a type of harmonic rythmic on and off again moan type of sound when I'm pulling up a grade. I haven't noticed any slip but then again we haven't towed in the extreme heat of summer yet or added any programmed power. The exact total weight is unknown but dry weight is 16000 lbs., add 84 gal.of fuel, 4 passengers and the assorted junk that a wife and kids can think of.
Maybe it would be ok, but I'd hate to break down and be at the mercy of some scam shop in the middle of no where. I don't look forward to dropping any more money than I have to but I feel it's better to do it right the first time at my own convienence.
I'm sure the ATS is good, but they are considerably more than Suncoast. I did notice on Suncoast's web site that the can (forgive me for crossing the line) , install a allison tranny in a dodge.
Decisions , decisions.......
Thanks for the opinions .

Walt

Old 04-16-2007, 05:07 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

I have a BD Diesel T/C and V/B and both work great. No issues. The V/B gives firmer shifts and the T/C gives good low power. They have a Tow Loc system or Ato Loc for shifts to hold longer.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Ralph78
Professional

I currently have the ATS Transmission (with the billet input shaft) and their 5 Star torque converter + their Commander Lockup Controller. I have 16,000 miles on the setup, with 90% of my milage towing 5 to 8 thousand pound trailers up and down hills. In the summertime here it gets up to 110+. I know several people with the ATS transmission, torque converter combo's, and none of them have had any problems. As to service, ATS has a 150,000 mile War. on both, BUT YOU MUST HAVE THRE TRANSMISSION SERVICED EVERY 15,000 MILES AT A COM. SHOP. Don't take it in to a quickie lube place such as "Jiffy Lube", as the 5 Star Torque Converter has a drain plug, and the drain plug MUST be removed and the TC drained. Most quick lube places don't have a clue. ALSO NEVER HAVE A SHOP CIRCULATE OUT THE FLUID. You MUST have the transmission pan dropped and the filter changed to satisfy ATS. It is a bit of a PITA, but if you follow their rules, they are said to hold up their end on the War. issue.

As for your current situation, I would just have your current transmission serviced every 15,000 miles, add a transmission temp. guage and a deep Aluminum pan for your transmission. Your first upgrade step would be to go to a good aftermarket "Billet" torque converter, such as the ATS 5 Star, or other Billet TC with a good rep. Add a lockup controller and watch your trans. temp and you should get a LOT of miles out of your stock trans., as long as you don't bump up the HP and Torque more than 50 or so.

Ralph

Quick Reply: 48RE Transmission Upgrades/ Replacements