Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Which dodge to buy and what to do to it

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 05:31 AM
alwaysavailable
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which dodge to buy and what to do to it

Alright it is time to upgrade trucks. I have had to start driveing my truck more and more. I have a 93 f-250 diesel and it has no power and gets pretty crappy mileage.

I have been looking around and have found some pretty good deals on a few different trucks. I plan on doing quite a bit of mods for both fuel and power, poss lift it a bit. I am deffanatly going to buy a older truck but do I want a 12v or a 24v? 5 speed or a automatic.

My diesel is automatic and I hate the way it shifts. It makes all its power at about 1800 rpm but always runs 2400-2800 rpm.

I figure if I start modding up a truck I rather put in a clutch then a torque converter and upgrade the tranny...

I know you can use a power commander on a truck older then a 99. Do the mods that you do on the older trucks mess with the mileage much or is it better to use a tuner. ect. Give me some info...

Old 04-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: Which dodge to buy and what to do to it

find a 2000 - 2005 ctd 3500 5 speed. throw a new chip/ computer or what have ya, big exhaust, exhaust brake, and youll have fun!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the last 5spd's were in 03. your best trucks are going to be 94-98.4 12 valves. the 98.5-02 trucks have some issues, but are still good. 03-present uses a fully electronic injections system that easy on the fly power can be made.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:29 AM
Ralph78
Professional

ORIGINAL: alwaysavailable

I have been looking around and have found some pretty good deals on a few different trucks. I plan on doing quite a bit of mods for both fuel and power, poss lift it a bit. I am deffanatly going to buy a older truck but do I want a 12v or a 24v? 5 speed or a automatic.
I suggest the early 98 "12 Valve Quad Cab." In 1998 the Quad Cab went to 4 doors. The 12 Valve engines are bullet proof, and are easy to mod for more HP / TQ. My 3500 Dualy gets 20+MPG @ 70 on the open road.

Try to find one in good condition inside and out, but with a "Iffy" Automatic. Get a good price on it because of the transmission.

Put in a new Billet Torque Converter, lockup controller and have the transmission beefed up by a good shop or get an after market transmission, put a #10 fuel plate in it, along with a good intake and exhaust. Add 3 guages, Trans. Temp. Boost Pressure, and Turbine Inlet Temperature. Then set back and enjoy a great truck for the next 300,000 miles or more.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:12 AM
alwaysavailable

Thanks for the replys guys!

This is what I have on the line right now, 94 2500 4x4 diesel 237,000k reg cab. Has bigger injectors, exhaust, leavling kit, advanced timing and another mod he cant remember. Its a automatic and the tranny has about 20k on it. He says you have to let it idle for a while before you can drive it because they took some kind of a valve out of the tranny. The guy claims 400hp. I have negotiated $6200. Any ideas what to look at when I go to buy it?

I already found built tranny and a good converter for it for $1600.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that whole valve thing sounds weird. . .I bet if you put it in neutral, then in what ever gear you want right after start-up it'll fun fine.

I would ask them if the Killer Dowl Pin has been fixed for starters, then ask when the valves were adjusted. also ask what type of oil he's been running.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:25 AM
alwaysavailable

Alright I got the truck, the tranny seems like it is pretty screwed. Anymore then 1/2 throttle in 1,2, it doesnt want to shift. At 45-50 it shifts into overdrive no matter what. It seems to have okay power in overdrive at 50-60 but if I get on it down low it just climbs to about 2700 and studders. I figure I will pick up that tranny and torque converter somtime this week.

I dont know what kind of injectors are in it, the exhast looks more like a muffler deleat though. It does have a k&n in it but it has the stock box with some holes cut in it. Should I swap it out? Turbo is pretty damn loud. The guy who I got it from said the guy he got it from claimed 400hp but it just doesnt feel that powerful. Not to mention the exhaust was done by the guy I got it from.

Now that I have it what should I do to it now after the tranny...? I was thinking about getting some gauges and sqeezing some propane? What do you normally have to do to get theese things into the 14's?

Quick Reply: Which dodge to buy and what to do to it