Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cats, EGTs & California

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:57 AM
73Jim
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cats, EGTs & California

Comming back from the lake over the mountains (5500 lbs boat, 3 guys, camping gear) I hit 1300 on my egt on westbound hwy 8.I hit those temps at about 62 mph in fourth gear,I downshifted to third at 52 mph and temps dropped to 1150. For those who live in freedom (outside California) hwy 8 is about a 6% grade from sea level to about 4200 feet. My truck is completely stock 07 5.9 48RE 3.73 and I want to lower egts. I am sure removing the cat is illegal here and most muffler shops won’t touch it so I thought about installing a down-pipe back system for a 03ish. Would that work?

Old 04-18-2007, 02:06 AM
cumminalong
Default RE: Cats, EGTs & California

Sure would.....that is exactly what I'm running.

I have the AERO 4040XL where the cat used to be, then a 32" section of pipe that goes to the Diamond Eye muffler where the stock one used to be, then out to the tail.

Look in my gallery and there are pics of it.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:13 AM
73Jim
Veteran

In the Peoples Republic of California it is illegal to remove the cat, how about Georgia? Does the dealership give you any flack about it being removed? OOPS, forgot who I was talking to, your dealership "experience" has been….um…quite an adventure.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:39 AM
cumminalong

The dealership doesn't give me flack for ANYTHING, ANYMORE.

They know better than to go down that road again. I think it was the $150 - 200Kthat I ended up costing them for beingretarded.

But seriously....there are no emissions inspections here in Alabama or Georgia. You guys in Cali get hosed on all the emissions and EGR crap.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cumminalong
But seriously....there are no emissions inspections here in Alabama or Georgia. You guys in Cali get hosed on all the emissions and EGR crap.
there are in the Atlanta area[:@]pisses me off. . .however there is a small glimer of hope. . .Diesels are consitered alternatively fueled vehicles, no emissions checks exist

anyway, you did the right thing by bumping the engine to a higher RPM. by doing that you got the turbo to spin up a bit more and push more air to cool things off. 1150F is nothing for these engines, you can run that all day without a single issue, 1300 is pushing things but not in the red. 1350 is where things begin to get interesting.

realy the only way to cool EGT's down is to upgrade your turbo, but heck, I wouldnt worry about a thing.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:10 PM
RamFreak
Veteran

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

Sure would.....that is exactly what I'm running.

I have the AERO 4040XL where the cat used to be, then a 32" section of pipe that goes to the Diamond Eye muffler where the stock one used to be, then out to the tail.

Look in my gallery and there are pics of it.
Not trying to hi jack the thread.. I was wondering what you thought of the aero on your CTD, I had one on my Hemi and loved it. Does a muffler like aero help lower egt's?

I am bone stock right now, I have thought about puting a aero on the diesel though. I have not really been sold on CAI's for gas engines, but I have heard they make a pretty good dif on the CTD's.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:30 PM
cumminalong

After I yanked the cat and stock muffler and installed the Aero and Diamond Eye, I saw some pretty significant drops on EGT's.

At idle it's down around 50 - 75*, cruising at steadyhighwayspeed it is down around 150*, and I can get on it pretty good now up t Lvl 4 on the Attitude and not bounce off the EGT limiter.

Before the exhaust, if I put it on Lvl 4 and get on it, I was definitely hitting the EGT limiter and the alarm would go off pretty quick.

Response wise, the turbo spools much faster from the bottom and over 2200 the truck feels like it's getting pushed by a freight train. It feels like the big push in power is about 300 RPM's sooner than it was with the stock exhaust.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:37 PM
RamFreak
Veteran

Thx for the info cumminalong, I really don't need to worry about egt's yet but i figure it is a good starting point with the added bonus of lower egt's.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:43 PM
cumminalong

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

If you have the Tow Haul mode turned on, the TC stay locked when you are coming to a stop until the engine gets a little below 1000 RPM. The last few seconds of lock-up before you stop, the thing sounds like you have a Jake Brake engaged.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:57 PM
RamFreak
Veteran

lol I won't tell the wife about that until after I have the Aero installed.

Quick Reply: Cats, EGTs & California